Publications & Prizes
- 2018: Recipient of a Turner Research and Travel Award for Poetry (Accra, Ghana).
- 2018: "Old Testament on West Preston," selected from a competitive pool of statewide entries, wins placement in the Baltimore Review's Maryland Writers Special Issue. One of ten writers chosen, Allen is featured alongside Karen Houppert, Associate Director of the Master of Arts Writing Program at Johns Hopkins, and Grace Cavalieri, Maryland Poet Laureate and radio host of “The Poet and the Poem” at the Library of Congress.
- 2019: "Quartered" is set to music and performed by composers at The Peabody Institute.
- 2020: "The Goldilocks Zone in Watermelon" is nominated by the Ilanot Review for the Best of the Net Anthology, published by Sundress Publications.
- 2020: "American Reel," a debut poem collection, is runner-up in the New Poetry and Prose Series Competition, sponsored by University Press of Kentucky, judged by Lisa Williams, the Paul L. Cantrell Professor of English and Program Chair at Centre College.
- 2020: "Hot Body, Cold Body, Working Body" is a finalist in the Mikrokosmos Poetry Contest, sponsored by Wichita State University, judged by nationally acclaimed poet Michael Kriesel.
- 2020: "Basquiat, Three Ways" is a finalist in the Quarterly West Poetry and Prose Contest, sponsored by the University of Utah, judged by award-winning writer Peter Markus.
- 2020: Served as First Reader for the 2021 Mountain West Writer's Contest, judged by prize-winning proser Vi Khi Nao and poet Carmen Giménez Smith, a Guggenheim Fellow.
- 2021: "Zoom," a persona poem, wins the Kay Murphy Prize for Poetry, judged by mutli-award-winning poet and literary scholar Trace Peterson.
- 2021: "The Lucy Papers," a poem trio, is longlisted in Frontier Poetry's New Voices Contest, judged by prize-winning poet and critically acclaimed author Donika Kelly.