Hey gente, I hope the first month of the new year has been good to you. I just finished a series of posts about a variety of ways to take part in the literary scene in Houston that are different from attending a reading or participating in a writing workshop. Today’s post will give us a little break from events and outlets. I am going to be a little selfish and share some things that I have been reading, listening to, and watching. It’s a busy life, so sometimes you just have to dig in and enjoy things in the comfort of your own home. Don’t worry—these are all still things definitely Houston and entirely literary that offer a taste of the city and new voices. Hope you enjoy!
Lupe’s “Take a Break” List (counting down from five):
5. A video of Fady Joudah and Carmen Giménez Smith reading for the 2018/2019 Inprint Margarett Root Brown Reading Series.
4. An interview with Houston author Bryan Washington for the Guardian.
3. An interview in Houstonia with Houston’s fourth poet laureate, Leslie Contreras Schwartz.
2. “Not-So-Subtle Asian Traits” by Houston writer Joshua Nguyen posted on Medium.
1. A video of the Houston finalists for the 2018 Brave New Voices International Youth Poetry Slam Festival.Houston@pw.org or on Twitter, @houstonpworg.