Built in 1897 and restored in 1973, this Queen Anne Victorian served as the birthplace and childhood home of John Steinbeck. Today, the house is operated by The Valley Guild as a luncheon restaurant. Tours and private parties are available.
Constructed in 1857, the Mother Colony House, one of the oldest buildings in Anaheim, California, is an American Territorial–style cottage built from redwood. It was once home to Nobel Prize–winning Polish writer Henryke Sienkiewicz. The house is now a museum overseen by the Anaheim Library. Tours are given by appointment only.
Established in 1969, the Silverado Museum is a non-profit organization that houses one of the world's most distinguished collections of Stevensoniana. Currently the museum holds over 9,000 original items, many of which were acquired directly from heirs and friends of the Stevenson family.
Located in John Steinbeck's hometown of Salinas, California, the National Steinbeck Center consists of the John Steinbeck Exhibition Hall and the Rabobank Agriculture Museum. Programs offered by the center include lectures, film and panel discussions about Steinbeck, authors talks, art openings, and community-based events, such as a Day of the Dead celebration and the annual Steinbeck Festival.
Located in the Union Square neighborhood of San Francisco, John's Grill was a setting in Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon. In the film, Sam Spade asks the waiter to hurry his order of "chops, baked potato, and sliced tomatoes." The interior features original period furnishings and authentic memorabilia. In 1997, John’s Grill was declared a National Literary Landmark.
Hours are Monday through Saturday 11 AM to 10 PM and Sunday 12 PM to 10 PM.
Founded in 1888, the Hotel del Coronado has been a setting in literature, film, and legend. The most famous work of literature involving the hotel is L. Frank Baum's 1900 novel, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Author Richard Matheson stayed at the Hotel del Coronado while writing his novel Bid Time Return in order to experience the life of his character. This hotel is also presumed to be the setting for the 1891 short story, An Heiress From Redhorse, by Ambrose Bierce.
891 Post Street was home to Dashiell Hammett, author of The Maltese Falcon, in the 1920s. An historical marker indicates the location of Hammett's apartment, but the building itself is occupied by tenants.
Constructed in 1815 by John Skinner, 26 Main Street was long owned by Maxwell Perkins, who vacationed here in the summer. Perkins is best known as the editor for F. Scott Fitzgerald, Thomas Wolfe, and Ernest Hemingway, among others.
This house was home to William Sidney Porter, better known as the short story writer O. Henry, in 1885. Today the O. Henry House is a museum open to the public.
Located in Kyle, Texas, the Katherine Anne Porter Literary Center is a three-room house that served as the author's residence from her birth in 1890 to her death in 1902. The center hosts a Katherine Anne Porter Young Writers program, a Visiting Writers Series, and a reading series.