The Mechanics’ Institute is a leading cultural center that includes a vibrant library, a world-renowned chess program, and a full calendar of engaging cultural events, including author readings, writing workshops, technology classes, civic discussions, book groups, film screenings, and community gatherings. Founded in 1854 to serve the educational and social needs of mechanics—artisans, craftsmen, and inventors—and their families, the Institute today is a favorite of avid readers, writers, downtown employees, chess players, and the twenty-first-century nomadic worker.
The Division holds over 29,000 linear feet of archival material in over 5,500 collections. The strengths of the Division are the papers and records of individuals, families, and organizations, primarily from the New York region. These collections, dating from the eigthteenth through the twentieth centuries, support research in the political, economic, social, and cultural history of New York and the United States. The New York Public Library holds the personal papers and archival materials of Thomas Jefferson, Truman Capote, Herman Melville, H. L.
A complex of buildings in the heart of New York City, the Morgan Library & Museum began as the private library of financier Pierpont Morgan (1837–1913), one of the preeminent collectors and cultural benefactors in the United States. As early as 1890 Morgan had begun to assemble a collection of illuminated, literary, and historical manuscripts, early printed books, and old master drawings and prints.
Inspired by the country’s earliest libraries, often called athenaeums, Folio provides access to discerning private book collections that have been donated, and a home for reading, writing, dialogue, and learning. Public programming includes book-based discussions, readings, presentations of book arts and rare volumes, and musical, cultural, and civic events.
Woodberry Poetry Room is a special collections reading room and audio-visual archive at Harvard University. The Poetry Room features a circulating collection of twentieth and twenty-first century English-language poetry, an encyclopedic array of poetry journals and literary magazines, a landmark collection of audio recordings (1933 to the present), and the Blue Star collection of rare books, broadsides, chapbooks, typescripts and ephemera.
The Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System serves as a cultural and intellectual center that enriches the community and empowers all residents with essential tools for lifelong learning. The Central Library, originally designed by Marcel Breuer, has recently been refurbished and includes a modern, fully equipped instructional learning center. The Auburn Avenue Research Library on African-American History and Culture contains one of the foremost collections of African-American literature and historical documents in the nation.
Through innovative and dynamic state-of-the-art exhibitions, as well as compelling programming, the American Writers Museum (AWM) educates, enriches, provokes, and inspires the public. A museum focused solely on the nation’s writers and writing, the AWM is the first of its kind in the United States.
The former Chadron State College Carnegie-style library serves as the Mari Sandoz High Plains Heritage Center.
The Center features exhibits, a preservation/preparation workroom equipped with a digital imaging laboratory, and an archival library. The Center also serves as the repository for the Mari Sandoz Heritage Society, which has loaned its expansive collection of the author’s materials for the exhibits and archives. The Society assists in educational programming and encourages research and publishing about the High Plains region.
The Beat Museum is dedicated to spreading the spirit of the Beat Generation, which we define as tolerance, compassion, and having the courage to live your individual truth. The museum is home to an extensive collection of Beat memorabilia, including original manuscripts and first editions, letters, personal effects, and cultural ephemera. Located in San Francisco’s North Beach neighborhood, it occupies the same ground that was once the epicenter for Beat activity during the 1950s.
The historic President’s Cottage on the Arizona State University Tempe Campus is the home of the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing. Located on the corner of Palm Walk and Tyler Mall, the house was constructed in 1907 and served as the home of the university’s president until 1959. Since that time, it has been used by the ASU Alumni Association for administrative offices (1961–1972) and as the home of the University Archives (1972–1995). The house, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is especially fitting as a home for the Virginia G.