This wood-frame house is the only Chicago home for the noted Chicago poet and journalist Carl Sandburg, who occupied a second-floor apartment in the building from 1912 to 1915. It was here that he lived when writing his ground-breaking poem “Chicago,” which has come to symbolize Chicago’s working-class heritage with its “City of Big Shoulders” verse. As such, the building is a tangible physical connection to one of America’s best-known writers and poets, and a leader in the “Chicago Literary Renaissance” of the early twentieth century.
Prolific author and Pulitzer Prize–winning poet, Gwendolyn Brooks resided in this Chicago home from 1953 to 1994. A dominant figure of twentieth-century American poetry and a leading force in the Chicago Black Renaissance literary movement from the 1930s through the 1950s, Brooks is regarded by literary critics as one of the United States’ most significant poets. Her first collection of poems, A Street in Bronzeville, appeared in 1945 and was followed by other major works including Annie Allen in 1949.
Author of Black Elk Speaks and numerous other works of prose and poetry, John G. Neihardt is the poet laureate in perpetuity of Nebraska. To commemorate his life and work, the John G. Neihardt State Historic Site was established on the site of his former home in Bancroft, Nebraska.
The sculpture of Don Quixote by Aurelio Teno, located at the Kennedy Center, was a gift from Spain for the Bicentennial of the United States of America, presented by King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofia of Spain on June 3, 1976. The sculptor began his career at age eight and described Don Quixote as his life work.
Both a Denver and a literary landmark, for eighty-eight years this house was the home of Thomas Hornsby Ferril (1896-1988), Colorado’s first poet laureate. It was sold by Ferril's daughter Anne Ferril Folsom to Historic Denver for one dollar in 1989, and her wish was that it be used as a literary center in honor of the legacy of her father. It has housed small businesses and nonprofit organizations including the Lighthouse Writers Workshop.
The Beat Museum is dedicated to spreading the spirit of the Beat Generation, which we define as tolerance, compassion, and having the courage to live your individual truth. The museum is home to an extensive collection of Beat memorabilia, including original manuscripts and first editions, letters, personal effects, and cultural ephemera. Located in San Francisco’s North Beach neighborhood, it occupies the same ground that was once the epicenter for Beat activity during the 1950s.
In 1974, the Eugene O’Neill Foundation saved Tao House in Danville, California, from a wrecker’s ball then raised funds to secure the site where O’Neill wrote his most famous plays. Today, the foundation maintains the largest O’Neill research library west of the Beinecke at Yale, and produces artistic and educational programming, including seminars, conferences, workshops, cultural events, student programming, exhibits, scholarly conferences, Playwright’s Theatre, and major theatrical performances.
The historic President’s Cottage on the Arizona State University Tempe Campus is the home of the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing. Located on the corner of Palm Walk and Tyler Mall, the house was constructed in 1907 and served as the home of the university’s president until 1959. Since that time, it has been used by the ASU Alumni Association for administrative offices (1961–1972) and as the home of the University Archives (1972–1995). The house, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is especially fitting as a home for the Virginia G.
The Michener Center for Writers is housed in the historic J. Frank Dobie home adjacent to campus. A writer and chronicler of the folklore of Texas and the Southwest, Dobie published some twenty-five books in his distinguished career—among them The Longhorns, Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver, and Coronado's Children—and from 1914 to 1947 was a member of the English faculty of the University of Texas. Until his death in 1964, Dobie met with students and colleagues in a kind of informal literary salon in the backyard of the house Waller Creek.
The Tennessee Williams Home and Welcome Center is the first home of Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Tennessee Williams. The author made history with well-known plays such as A Streetcar Named Desire, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and The Glass Menagerie.
Tennessee Williams, the man said to be the most important American playwright, was born in Columbus, Mississippi in 1911. He spent his beginning years in an old Victorian home that was the rectory for St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. Williams’ grandfather, Reverend Walker Dakin, served as minister for the church.