'Djelloul Marbrook was born in Algiers to an American mother and Bedouin father and grew up in New York. After Dwight and Columbia he served in the U.S. Merchant Marine and U.S. Navy before beginning a journalism career (reporter for the Providence (RI) Journal and editor for the Elmira (NY) Star-Gazette, the Baltimore Sun, the Winston-Salem Journal, the Washington Star, and Media News dailies in northeast Ohio and northern New Jersey). He stopped writing poetry in the early 1970s but resumed after September 11, 2001, making notes as he walked around his beloved Manhattan. These poems appear in the prize-winning 'Far from Algiers' (see below). He serves on the advisory board of Writing for Peace and is the English language editor of 'Arabesques Review,' a trilingual quarterly. After 30 years in Washington DC he has lived since 1999 in the mid-Hudson Valley with his wife Marilyn. He maintains a lively presence on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/djelloul.marbrook.5) Twitter and djelloulmarbrook.com.
• 'Far from Algiers' (2008, Kent State University Press, winner of the 2007 Stan and Tom Wick Poetry Prize and the 2010 International Book Award in poetry)
• 'Brushstrokes and Glances' (2010, Deerbrook Editions)
• 'Brash Ice' (2014, Leaky Boot Press, UK)
• 'Shadow of the Heron' (2016, Coda Crab Books, Seattle, WA)
• 'Riding Thermals to Winter Grounds' (forthcoming 2016, Leaky Boot)
• 'Nothing True Has a Name' (forthcoming 2016, Leaky Boot)
• Even Now the Embers (forthcoming 2016, Leaky Boot)
• 'Other Risks Include' (forthcoming 2016, Leaky Boot)
• 'Air Tea with Dolores' (forthcoming 2016, Leaky Boot).
• 'Alice Miller's Room' (1999, OnlineOriginals.com, UK; included in 'Making Room: Baltimore Stories,' see below )
• 'Artemisia's Wolf' (2011, Prakash Books, India; included in 'A Warding Circle: New York Stories,' see below)
• 'Saraceno' (2012, Bliss Plot Press, NY)
• 'Guest Boy' (2012, Mira Publishing House, UK)
• 'Mean Bastards Making Nice' (2014, Leaky Boot Press)
• 'A Warding Circle: New York Stories,' forthcoming 2016, Leaky Boot)
• 'Making Room: Baltimore Stories' (forthcoming 2016, Leaky Boot )
Journals: His poems have been published by 'American Poetry Review,' 'Maintenant' (2016, Three Rooms Press anthology), 'Barrow Street,' 'Coal Hill Review,' 'Omniverse,' 'Knot Magazine,' 'Galatea Resurrects,' 'Pirene’s Fountain,' 'Istanbul Review,' 'Taos Poetry Journal,' 'Orbis' (UK), 'Aesthetica' (UK), From the Fishouse, 'Oberon,' 'Hot Metal Bridge,' 'The Same,' 'Reed,' 'Fledgling Rag,' 'Pine Hills Review,' 'Le Zaporogue' (Denmark), 'Poets Against the War,' 'Poemeleon,' 'Van Gogh's Ear Anthology'(France), 'Atticus Review,' 'Deep Water Literary Journal' (Ireland), 'Attic,'
'Perpetuum Mobile,' and 'Daylight Burglary,' among others. His fiction has been published by 'Literal Latté,' 'Potomac Review,' 'Orbis' (UK), and 'Breakfast All Day' (UK).
• An interview with him by Warda Atroun appeared in 'The Peregrine Muse' (https://sites.google.com/site/theperegrinemuseii/interviews/interview---djelloul-marbrook).
• A profile of him by Nina Shengold appeared in 'Chronogram' (http://www.chronogram.com/hudsonvalley/the-literary-palette-of-djelloul-marbrook/Content?oid=2175171).
Please note: All information in the Directory is provided by the listed writers or their representatives.
Listing last updated: June 12, 2016