Position Title: Writing Specialist/ Writing Consultant
Department: SLU - Murphy Institute for Worker Education
Division/Program: Leap to Teacher Program
Location: Off campus at Brooklyn College
The Murphy Institute’s Leap to Teacher Program at the CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies is a program that provides support services and to Para professionals and United Federation of Teachers (UFT) members employed with the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) to pursue their education and advance their careers in teaching or another field of study. LEAP to Teacher program is seeking to hire Writing Specialist to work with LTT students at Brooklyn College.
The Leap to Teacher Writing Specialist reports to Director of Worker Education and Workforce Development. The Writing Specialist will assist the Leap to Teacher students with academic writing and research and provide tutoring sessions and mini-workshops. The Writing Specialist will work with assigned faculty members in class, facilitate writing groups during class sessions, meet with students individually and in small groups to lead students to a greater understanding of their writing, demonstrate how to identify and correct writing weaknesses, and empower students to begin editing and revising on their own for success in future writing projects. The writing support services are aligned with teacher certification exams. The writing specialist is required to attend team meetings with instructors and program coordinators, track tutoring sessions, assist collecting student’s data and conduct pretest and posttests when it is needed.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and communication skills
- Mastery of basic composition skills and information literacy skills
- Knowledge of “Writing across the Curriculum” and/or “Writing Center” experience is a plus
- Tutoring/ teaching experience is preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and clear handwriting
- Knowledge of NY State Teacher Certification exams’ formats is a plus
- Willingness to work evening hours and weekends
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree; earned Master’s degree preferred
Hourly Rate: $42.95 per hour
Hours: Approximately 12 hours per week
How to Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to: Dr. Maryam (Sara) Esfarayeni at Maryam.Esfarayeni@cuny.edu.