VIDA seeks determined, meticulous, and perceptive volunteers to assist with the VIDA BIPOC Survey, a new initiative intended to track racial inequities in literary publishing. Unlike the VIDA Gender Count, the BIPOC Survey will rely on self-reporting. The primary role of Survey Volunteers is to locate and record contact information (email addresses) for writers so that we may send them the BIPOC Survey.
The 2020 VIDA Count will run from August 2020 through March 2021. Survey Volunteers will work independently and at their own pace during this time, with deadlines set by the Survey Coordinator. Clear and frequent communication between team members is crucial.
As an intersectional feminist organization, VIDA strongly believes that opportunities must be widely provided so as to include those historically marginalized from positions of power. We believe that the communities we serve must be represented in all aspects of our organization. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people who are members of marginalized communities.
VIDA is an all-volunteer organization; therefore this is an unpaid position, however we may be able to offer internship credit for students—please get in touch if you are interested in this.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Research and find contact information for writers from a list of names provided
- Meet regular and quickly paced deadlines
- Work collaboratively and communicate clearly with Survey Coordinator and team members
- Must have reliable access to the internet
- Participate in VIDA Count Volunteer training, provided by the VIDA Count Director
- Must be able to handle sensitive and personal information with confidentiality
- Keen research skills
- Experience with collecting data and database management preferred
- Ability to use or willingness to learn the following programs:
- Google Sheets or Excel
- Must demonstrate an understanding of VIDA's core mission and values as an intersectional feminist literary organization.
We are looking for someone who can devote, at a minimum, one VIDA Count cycle (August 2020 to March 2021). The average time commitment may vary but is typically around 5 hours a week, on your own schedule.
- VIDA t-shirt!
- Partial reimbursement available for those who volunteer at national conferences (including AWP)
- Involvement in a community dedicated to encouraging and supporting historically-marginalized voices in the larger literary community
- Direct contribution to an international conversation about gender imbalances in the publishing industry
Interested applicants may apply by filling out this form. Please include a resume. Any relevant questions may be directed to Sara Iacovelli at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that you must have a Google account to complete the form; if you would still like to apply to this position but do not have a Google account, please email email@example.com and we will provide you with the information needed. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until August 31st.
VIDA welcomes the commitment from those working at all publications to volunteer with us. We also take steps to carefully vet our applicants and to place volunteers in appropriate positions so as to avoid possible conflicts of interest. We cannot allow anyone who currently holds a high-level position, such as an editor or a publisher, at any of the publications included in the Count to volunteer on the Count teams. Interns, readers, and former staff of these publications may be considered for these teams on a case-by-case basis. Volunteers must disclose any ties to publications we Count in their application.