VIDA is seeking a Coordinator for the VIDA BIPOC Survey, a new initiative intended to track racial inequities in literary publishing. The Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing and coordinating VIDA BIPOC Survey volunteers, as well as communicating and working closely with the VIDA Count Director to send out the Survey. The Coordinator will manage the database of names and contact information for authors published in the publications for the 2020 VIDA Count.
The 2020 VIDA Count will run from August 2020 through March 2021. The BIPOC Survey Coordinator must be able to commit to volunteering for at least one full Count term.
As an intersectional feminist organization, VIDA strongly believes that opportunities must be widely provided so as to include those historically marginalized from positions of power. We believe that the communities we serve must be represented in all aspects of our organization. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people who are members of marginalized communities.
VIDA is an all-volunteer organization; therefore this is an unpaid position, however we may be able to offer internship credit for students—please get in touch if you are interested in this.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Clearly communicate project goals and expectations with team
- Set deadlines and coordinate bi-weekly check-ins with volunteers, either via Google Hangouts, Slack, or email
- Assist in training Survey Team volunteers in relevant programs and protocols
- Assist team in researching and finding contact information for writers
- Manage database(s) of contact information in Smartsheet and Google Drive
- Collaborate with Count Director and Gender Count Coordinators to ensure timely and accurate data collection
- Must have reliable access to the internet
- Participate in VIDA Count Volunteer training, provided by the VIDA Count Director
- Must be able to handle sensitive and personal information with confidentiality
- Must be highly organized and attentive to detail
- Experience with collecting data and database management preferred
- Ability or willingness to learn the following programs:
- Google Sheets or Excel
- Must demonstrate an understanding of VIDA's core mission and values as an intersectional feminist literary organization.
We are looking for someone who can devote, at a minimum, one VIDA Count cycle (August 2020 to March 2021). The average time commitment may vary but is typically around 8 hours a week, on your own schedule.
- VIDA t-shirt!
- Partial reimbursement available for those who volunteer at national conferences (including AWP)
- Involvement in community dedicated to encouraging and supporting historically-marginalized voices in the larger literary community
- Direct contribution to an international conversation about gender imbalances in the publishing industry
Interested applicants may apply by filling out this form. Please include a resume. Any relevant questions may be directed to Sara Iacovelli at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that you must have a Google account to complete the form; if you would still like to apply to this position but do not have a Google account, please email email@example.com and we will provide you with the information needed. Applications are due by August 5th, 2020.
VIDA welcomes the commitment from those working at all publications to volunteer with us. We also take steps to carefully vet our applicants and to place volunteers in appropriate positions so as to avoid possible conflicts of interest. We cannot allow anyone who currently holds a high-level position, such as an editor or a publisher, at any of the publications included in the Count to volunteer on the Count teams. Interns, readers, and former staff of theses publications may be considered for these teams on a case-by-case basis. Volunteers must disclose any ties to publications we Count in the application.