WITS hires professional writers with teaching backgrounds to lead creative writing residencies for public high school students. We are committed to building a roster of teaching artists that reflects the diversity of our schools. This is a seasonal contractor position, and residencies take place during the school day. WITS provides a mandatory orientation prior to placement, as well as ongoing paid professional development opportunities. Traditional residencies are the equivalent of 15 in-class teaching hours and are compensated at a flat rate of $1885 each. Express residencies are the equivalent of 7 in-class teaching hours and are compensated at a flat rate of $942.50 each.
For the last two years, WITS has been operating on a reduced capacity, but in the 22-23 school year, WITS is returning to a full 42 residencies for the year. This should provide more opportunities for residency placements for writers.
All school district contractors are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. WITS classes are taught in person.
Please complete this application by July 4th, 2022.
Questions? Email Olivia Jones-Hall at email@example.com.
Writers interested in teaching for WITS for the 2022-23 school year should fill out the application: https://forms.gle/sc6vWqnUkQaY5dbz7
The application requires the following items:
- Cover Letter – Please indicate whether you are applying for the WITS Writer or WITS Apprentice position
- Resume or CV with publication and teaching experience
- A creative writing sample or video link of your work (appropriate for high school students)
- Sample creative writing lesson for a one hour or 1.5 hour class or unit plan (appropriate for high school students)
- Name and contact info for two references
- Your schedule/availability for the 2022-23 school year
Applications for the 2022-23 school year will only be accepted from June 1st– June 26th, 2022.