Tin House is seeking a creative, dynamic, and experienced Senior Publicist or Publicity Manager to join our team. The candidate will create and manage comprehensive national publicity campaigns for a diverse list of twenty-four titles a year, including fiction, nonfiction, memoir, graphic/art, and poetry.
Responsibilities for the position include:
- Design and execute targeted media and event/tour campaigns for our titles
- Pitch books to media contacts, including those at print, online, television, and radio outlets, with follow-ups via email and phone
- Develop tailored press materials (including press releases, author praise sheets, email pitches, and more) while overseeing review copy mailings
- Create media lists and maintain publicity databases
- Analyze and report on the efficacy of PR outreach in weekly meetings
- Attend industry conferences/conventions/festivals, author events, and in-person media meetings
- Manage Publicity and Marketing Assistant, collaborate with sales and marketing on campaigns
- Build relationships with and liaise directly with cultural influencers
- Contribute creative ideas and new approaches to book publicity
- 3–7 years of prior work experience in publicity with an emphasis placed on booking author events and national media in both traditional and digital outlets
- Established relationships with national and regional media contacts
- Ability to successfully generate creative story content, pitch angles, profiles, and off-the-book coverage
- Established relationships with the bookselling community, and national and regional author event venues
- Superb organizational, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, to work well under pressure, and to balance multiple projects while maintaining accuracy
- Enthusiasm for participating in and contributing to a small, energetic, and supportive office
- A proactive PR approach, balancing daily and weekly opportunities with long-term goals
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others on a team, while also being self-directed and quick to take initiative
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion, and the multifaceted work of book publicity through an equity lens
Publisher of award-winning books of literary fiction, nonfiction, and poetry; home to a renowned workshop and seminar series; and partner of a critically acclaimed podcast, Tin House champions writing that is artful, dynamic, and original. Tin House authors have garnered acclaim everywhere from The New York Times and NPR to The Wall Street Journal and People magazine. We are proud to publish and promote writers who speak to a wide range of experiences, lending context and nuance to their examination of our world.
Tin House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, or economic background/status. Tin House welcomes applicants from diverse and underrepresented communities and values a wide array of talents and perspectives. People of color, people with a disability, and veteran, immigrant, refugee, and LGBTQI+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please note, due to COVID-19, this position will work from home for the foreseeable future. This listing is open to remote or in-person work when our office reopens again at our headquarters in Portland, OR.
Please send a resume and cover letter, and share one or two of your top publicity accomplishments that you are most proud of, with the subject line “Publicity Job Posting” to firstname.lastname@example.org.