The SCI AmeriCorps program supports youth success by connecting young people with the relationships, experiences, and resources they need to succeed. Members implement volunteer outreach and capacity building activities that increase volunteer participation, and provide leadership training and community service opportunities for youth. Since 2007, SCI AmeriCorps members have served at various host sites in northeastern Massachusetts that are aligned with the mission of Social Capital Inc. (SCI).
SCI AmeriCorps is currently looking for candidates to fill positions for a 1700-hour service term from September 2022 to June 2023. In addition to supporting the capacity building of the host site, the goal is to empower youth to positively impact their communities and build their social capital through
collaboration with peers and adults while developing leadership skills.
HOST SITE OPPORTUNITY ─ Mass Poetry (Boston)
Mass Poetry harnesses the power of words to engage diverse communities. From hosting the Massachusetts Poetry Festival to poetry residencies across the Commonwealth, our innovative programs aim to build a vibrant, inclusive community that lifts all voices. In 2021, Mass Poetry began serving as an arts-partner-in-residence at GrubStreet’s new Center for Creative Writing in Boston’s Seaport. Learn more at www.masspoetry.org.
At Mass Poetry, the SCI AmeriCorps member will:
- Participate fully in all SCI AmeriCorps orientations and trainings
- Assist in growing an inclusive audience and volunteer base for the Mass Poetry Festival
- Train, coordinate and manage volunteers under supervision of Mass Poetry staff
- Develop volunteer management tools, processes and systems
- Add capacity for youth enrichment and volunteerism by recruiting new students to participate in transformative poetry programming
- Support mentorship of Word Play and Teen Council members, through leadership skills development, team building activities, and engagement
- Solicit Festival sponsorships to support youth programming
- Manage web content and support technological needs, especially with an eye toward accessibility
- Support Mass Poetry events (both in-person and virtually) with an eye toward accessibility
- Build strong organizational relationships with community members, youth, and volunteers
- Complete a Social Capital Youth Project for Mass Poetry’s youth enrichment programming
- Able to commit to Full-Time service in local communities with diverse residents
- Effective communication skills to conduct community outreach (written and verbal)
- Strong work ethic, collaboration, and time management skills
- Robust interpersonal skills
- Availability to serve in-person for some or all service activities
- Receive a Taxable Stipend up to $23,000/year, paid bi-weekly
- Earn a Federal Education Award worth up to $6,495 upon successful completion of service
- 40-hour SCI Member Professional Development Certificate Program: professional development training in Volunteer Management, Building Social Capital, Community Outreach, Youth Development, Project Management, and DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion)
- Eligible for Free Healthcare at a no-cost premium
- Can receive Student Loan Forbearance during active service
Submit your application through the form at bit.ly/servewithsci.
Please contact our Program Director with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.