The Wisconsin English Journal, a bi-annual publication, is seeking reviewers for a year-long commitment, with opportunity for extension.
The Wisconsin English Journal was founded in 1959 by the Wisconsin Council of Teachers of English. Since then, they have published all types of material related to the teaching of English. Recently, WEJ has opened their scope to welcome fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction submissions.
Reviewers should be interested in flash fiction, short stories, poetry, and creative nonfiction. Reviewers should expect to contribute 5-10 hours per week when WEJ is accepting submissions (Sept-Oct and Jan-March). Unfortunately, the WEJ is unable to pay reviewers at this time.
- Review incoming submissions for publication potential in WEJ
- Assess submissions based on WEJ guidelines, creative merit, and originality
- Work with authors to offer constructive and concrete revisions
- Writing reviewer comments in the form of rejection letters
- Format stories/poems for publication using WEJ's standardized style
The ideal candidate posesses:
- An interest in flash fiction, short stories, poetry, and creative nonfiction
- Particularly interested in candidates with previous publication experience in literary fiction/specific poetic forms
- A bachelor's degree in English or related field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A sense of professionalism
- Strong computer skills
- Superior organizational skills and attention-to-detail
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please include a recently published creative piece (fiction or poetry) that you loved and why.
Please note: Reviewers must be a member of the Wisconsin Council of Teachers of English by the start of their term. For more information, visit www.wcteonline.org/join/membership.