The American Library Association seeks a Publisher for ALA Editions/ALA Neal-Schuman.
The ALA Editions/ ALA Neal-Schuman book imprint of the American Library Association is looking for a Publisher who will maximize net revenue for the Association and maintain a competitive and future-focused edge in the library market. ALA Editions/ Neal-Schuman publishes 50–60 professional and reference books and textbooks in a variety of print and digital formats each year. The Publisher manages 8 direct reports and a total staff of 12 in acquisitions, production, marketing, sales, fulfillment, and operations. This position reports to the Associate Executive Director, ALA Publishing Department.
Key responsibilities include:
- Meet annual sales targets in book sales, content licensing, and other potential sources of revenue, while managing expenses to maximize and grow net revenue for the Association.
- Provide leadership to a team of 12, including 8 direct reports. Ensure proactive, innovative, high quality performance in acquisitions, marketing, sales, editorial/production, fulfillment, and operations.
- Direct the development, implementation, and measurement of the unit’s strategic and business plans, capitalizing on trends and developments. Direct appropriate ongoing market research so that new products meet expressed content and format needs of customers and prospects. Stay abreast of the library market and the needs of librarians in all types of libraries.
- Create, manage, and report on the unit’s annual budget (approximately $3 million in revenue).
- Negotiate competitive contracts with outside vendors.
- Represent ALA Editions/Neal-Schuman throughout the Association and externally, promoting the competitive advantages of the imprint with a wide variety of audiences. This includes ALA conferences and other events.
The Publisher position is based in Chicago, Illinois. The selected candidate will need to live in the Chicagoland area. Relocation assistance can be provided.
Salary: Negotiable from $115,000 based on relevant experience and qualifications. ALA offers a comprehensive and valuable benefits program, plus generous paid vacation and a retirement annuity.
Closing Date: Friday, Dec 6, 2019 or until the position is filled.
In addition to sending your resume, you must include a cover letter outlining the strategic value that you will bring to ALA, drawing upon your successes in the publishing field.
Apply online including cover letter, resume and salary expectations.
Send a cover letter, resume and salary expectations to:
American Library Association
Human Resources Department
Dan Hoppe – Associate Executive Director, HR
50 E. Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611
The American Library Association is an equal opportunity employer: Disability/Veteran
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree is preferred. MLIS degree a plus.
- 15 years’ experience in professional/reference/textbook or other relevant publishing including direct or indirect management experience in acquisitions, production, marketing, sales, and operations.
- Demonstrated record of success in increasing product sales; editorial oversight; new product development; and leading a staff in an environment of tight deadlines.
- Minimum 5 years’ supervisory experience.
- Association and/or library experience
- Demonstrated ability to successfully run/operate a business
- Data-driven management and decision-making leading to increased profits
- Publishing digital content
- Developing staff and leading them through change management
- Establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with publishing partners
- Significant knowledge of the profession and library community, including current trends
- Effective leadership—ability to foster a team environment and work collaboratively with a wide range of people
- Strategic, innovative, creative, future-oriented thinking
- Ability to work collaboratively within a complex organization, and to engage effectively with members and staff with diverse perspectives (i.e., strong interpersonal skills)
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to effectively manage competing priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to influence at various levels
- Business acumen, ability to recognize and capitalize on market trends
- Revenue and profit focus