Founded in 1984 and based in Washington, DC, Island Press’ mission is to provide the best ideas and information to those seeking to understand and protect the environment and create solutions to its complex problems. We elevate voices of change, shine a spotlight on crucial issues, and focus attention on sustainable solutions. As the nation’s foremost not-for-profit publisher of environmental books and other materials, we grow the awareness of and present science-based solutions to the critical challenges of our times to the natural world, to the built environment, and to the health and well-being of all.
The Publicity & Marketing Assistant supports the team in the sales and promotions of books and authors. Working closely with authors, customers, and the media you will use your talents to prepare materials and events, and conduct outreach for new titles and cross-promotion of backlist titles. You can build on your familiarity with media with experience in publishing and environmental issues.
- Create promotional materials including business cards, flyers, and posters for books and conferences.
- Acquire marketing questionnaires and additional content from authors.
- Attend local conferences and author events for sales and promotions.
- Draft press releases, fact sheets, Q&A’s, pitches, book announcements, and other publicity materials for new titles.
- Research appropriate contacts, draft media lists, and perform follow-up.
- Track activities and analytics for preparation of reports.
- Demonstrated ability to produce written content to engage and expand diverse audiences.
- Proficiency with or willingness to learn database and graphic design software.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects with a strong attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity or interest in publishing, media, or environmental issues
- Ability to commute daily to the Washington, DC headquarters.
- A demonstrated ability to work with people who are different from you.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary $35k, negotiable
- Casual dress code
- Limited flexible scheduling
- Subsidized healthcare insurance
- Dental and vision insurance
- Life, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses
- Retirement plan
- Pre-tax commuting benefits and free Capital Bikeshare membership
- Annual leave: vacation, sick, and personal
- Free membership to on-site fitness center
- Employee discount on Island Press titles
Island Press is an equal employment opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a workplace as diverse as the environment it is committed to protecting. We encourage applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, political association, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
To apply, send cover letter, résumé, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject of Publicity & Marketing Assistant, No calls, please.
Recruiting will continue until the position is filled. This position will start in early to mid-August 2019.