Graywolf Press seeks an energetic, dedicated, and creative person with publicity experience for the position of Publicity Associate.
Graywolf Press is a nonprofit publisher of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, including work in translation. We aim to publish books and authors that foster new thinking about what it means to live in the world today. We publish thirty to thirty-five books each year. Our seventeen-person staff is based in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
The Publicity Associate will report to Graywolf’s Senior Publicity Manager, Caroline Nitz, and our Director of Marketing and Engagement, Marisa Atkinson. This position serves as primary publicist for three to four titles per season, including the majority of our poetry and translation titles. The Publicity Associate will also lead the planning and logistics for four to five author tours per season and be responsible for Graywolf’s social media channels. The ideal candidate for this job is flexible, hardworking, and interested in poetry, with some prior experience in book publicity. This position requires some out-of-state travel to conferences and trade shows.
Compensation includes paid time off; health, dental, and life insurance, as well as short-term and long-term disability insurance; and a transit pass. Graywolf employees are eligible for retirement benefits after one year of service. This is a full-time, exempt position based in Minneapolis with a start date in July 2019.
- Work in collaboration with Senior Publicity Manager to serve as primary publicist for 3–4 titles per season (about a third of the list)
- Pitch Graywolf titles to members of the media (print, radio, online, television)
- Write press releases and create galleys, build mailing lists
- Organize author interviews and profiles
- Coordinate local media coverage around author events
- Communicate media coverage with authors, agents, and staff
- Work in collaboration with Director of Marketing and Engagement to lead the planning and logistics for 4–5 author tours per season (about half of the list), and to book additional author events as assigned
- Work with authors to plan touring cities and event schedule
- Pitch Graywolf titles to event coordinators and respond to incoming event invitations
- Oversee author participation in literary festivals as assigned
- With other members of the team, ensure our events are promoted online
- Represent Graywolf at conferences, trade shows, and literary festivals
- Update Graywolf’s social media accounts
- Other marketing and publicity responsibilities as assigned
Required Education, Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- At least two years of experience working on book publicity
- Experience in author event programming
- A commitment to increasing diversity in and access to literature
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize work.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively and flexibly with our staff of seventeen and as part of a team
- High level of comfort with Mac OS and Microsoft Office suite and other basic office technology
- A professional and friendly attitude
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience publicizing contemporary poetry and enthusiasm for the form
- Interest in work in translation; the ability to speak another language is an asset but not required
- Experience working with social media in a professional capacity
- Graphic design experience with Adobe Photoshop and/or InDesign
- Previous experience with data entry, databases, and manipulating complex information
Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes.
- Must be able to carry and lift boxes of books and other materials.
Please send a cover letter addressed to Leslie Johnson, Managing Director, and resume as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Publicity Associate 2019.” Please be sure to note the publicity campaigns and author tours you have worked on directly.
Applications will be accepted from May 8–22. Graywolf Press is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.