Founded by poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti in 1953, City Lights is one of the few truly great independent bookstores in the United States, a place where booklovers from across the country and around the world come to browse, read, and just soak in the ambiance of alternative culture’s only “Literary Landmark.” In 1955, Ferlinghetti launched City Lights Publishers with the now-famous Pocket Poets Series; since then the press has gone on to publish a wide range of titles, both poetry and prose, fiction and nonfiction, international and local authors. Today, City Lights has well over two hundred titles in print, with a dozen or so new titles being published each year. The press is known and respected for its commitment to innovative and progressive ideas, and its resistance to forces of conservatism and censorship.
We are currently seeking a Publicity and Marketing Associate to join our team.
The Publicity and Marketing Associate’s position includes management of press and publicity strategies on a portion of the books we publish at City Lights, under the supervision of our VP, Publicity and Marketing Director. This position also manages our entire institution’s online communication with the local community and with the world at large, through various social media channels, newsletters, blog posts, and podcast.
- Must be able to work in our San Francisco office. This full-time position is not remote.
- At least two years of experience in book publishing, marketing, publicity or public relations.
- Excellent copywriting and editing skills.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to successfully manage numerous projects at once.
- Knowledge of the City Lights Publishing catalog.
- Knowledge of City Lights’ history and place in the literary and cultural world.
- A love for and knowledge of independent bookstores and independent publishers in general.
- Impeccable follow-through.
- Highly attentive to detail.
- Solid experience with social media publicity and marketing campaigns.
- Capacity to train and supervise interns.
- Skills and experience necessary to identify, troubleshoot, and solve technology problems including website maintenance, computer and internet connectivity issues, software, and issues with social media platforms.
- Mac proficient, Google Workspace
Software, Programs, and Portals Used
- Google Workspace
- MS Office Suite (Word & Excel)
- Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tweetdeck, Linktree
- Metadata content management and email marketing systems (i.e. Emma, Airtable, Coresource, IQ, iPage)
To apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Applications will be accepted beginning on Monday, April 18th, 2022, and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.