Melville House is looking for an experienced publicist to join what is widely recognized as one of the most innovative and successful publicity/marketing departments in independent publishing. We're looking for someone with experience at book publicity, who is well-versed in the fundamentals, and is excited by the changes sweeping the industry today and the way those changes can foster public discussion of books.
Melville House is a mission-driven company, and features a highly collaborative workplace, so it's also crucial that we find someone who plays well with others.
Duties include performing all aspects of book publicity, including: designing campaigns; writing press materials; securing coverage; managing pre-publication reviews and publicity; arranging and managing events and tours; working with authors; maintaining social networking campaigns; blogging and regular participation in our award-winning social media; representing the company at events; and raising the company's profile.
- Strong writing skills
- Good local, national, and internet contacts
- Strong data management skills
- The ability to handle a wide variety of books—fiction, nonfiction, cookbooks, and more—simultaneously
- Sang-froid when it comes to working under pressure, and an ability to hit deadlines
- An ability to work with marketing, editorial, and production colleagues in a deeply collaborative environment
- A sense of humor
- A wicked keen interest in independent publishing
- A brain that sparks creatively
- Deep familiarity with our blog and especially our books
How to Apply:
Applications should be sent digitally to Chris Alexander at email@example.com. Please include, as an attachment, a full resume as well as a cover letter addressed to publishers Dennis Johnson and Valerie Merians. In your cover letter, please discuss not only your experience, but how your skills match up to our list. Please also include your salary requirements. MINORITY CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.