Are you passionate about amplifying today’s unique voices, ideas and stories with the world? Our team at Smith Publicity has an immediate opening for an experienced publicist who is equally dedicated to the art of publicity and has a voracious love of books and brands. While given the creative freedom to work independently, our publicists are also part of a veteran team working hand-in-hand with traditional and independently published authors as well as publishers and industry partners. Through our curated campaigns, publicists are focused on getting diving deep into their client’s project, platform and goals; developing overall campaign strategy; cultivating key media relationship; and executing tailored media outreach with the goal of securing coverage in the form of interviews, articles, book reviews, feature stories, etc.
Day to day, after a period of training, you will be the primary contact on all aspects of your client’s campaign, from press material development to media research, pitching and coordinating opportunities to earn media coverage, conducting extensive follow-ups, and communicating regular with clients and their teams with regular campaign updates, to brainstorm new angles and ideas, and to ensure overall collaboration.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Creative and able to collaborate with clients on ideas and strategy
- Excellent communicator to media, clients, and colleagues. Persuasive, clear, and direct writing and telephone skills are essential when presenting clients to the media. Key skills also include the ability to communicate strategy, ideas, and results with client and to internal team.
- Organized, detailed oriented, able to multitask, work independently, meet strict deadlines, have a sense of urgency for results
- Knowledge of media landscape with a proven track record of delivering results. News savvy, following trends and breaking stories across print, broadcast and online media.
- Social media and/or brand strategy experience a plus
- Able to manage client and media relationships in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with Cision international media database.
- Thorough, with strong attention to detail in all forms of client and internal team communication.
- Afforded the opportunity to work remotely with a degree of schedule flexibility.
Required: BA/BS in public relations, marketing, communication, English, business or related field. Ideal candidate has a minimum of 5 to 7 years publicity/public relations-related experience. Publishing industry experience a plus.