We are looking for two Publicists, one to handle our humanities list—literary criticism, fiction in translation, and Asian studies, and one to handle our business and science list—finance, value investing, corporate governance, leadership and innovation, paleontology, climate change, biology, and neuroscience, with an emphasis on women in science.
Responsible for implementing Publicity Department activities and supporting the wider efforts of the Marketing and Sales Departments to gain the widest possible exposure for Columbia University Press and its distribution client titles. The Publicity Department works to bring attention to Columbia University Press titles, distribution client titles and Press personnel to the outside world through placements in radio, television, print, and Internet media. The Publicist supports these efforts through developing and implementing publicity campaigns for Columbia University Press print products, and distributed publishers’ titles.
- Develops and implements comprehensive publicity campaigns for assigned titles published each season
- Corresponds with authors
- Attends occasional meetings with authors, outside consultants, editors, marketing staff and production personnel as needed to coordinate publicity efforts
- Writes promotional copy and orders advance uncorrected proofs for appropriate assigned titles
- Writes press releases for assigned Columbia University Press titles
- Compiles title-appropriate review mailing lists and prepares them for submission to the warehouse for mailing
- Books and confirms media interviews with assigned authors. Seeks out and coordinates venues for readings, signings, lectures and book parties. Will occasionally arrange author tours
- Meets with key members of the media in person each season to discuss our titles
Marketing Department Duties
- Attends regular marketing department meetings
- Attends one or more exhibits as a representative of the press
- Attends the seasonal sales conference
- Bachelor’s degree
- Four years prior experience in publicity
- Requires excellent command of the English language both orally and in writing
- Must have knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheet, and e-mail
- Must be able to work as part of a team environment
- Must be able to work in a deadline driven environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate
- Work requires continual attention to detail in composing, typing and proofing materials, follow-up on contacts, establishing priorities, and meeting deadlines
- Demonstrated knowledge of book publicity
- Extensive media contact and knowledge of the media
For the business and science books Publicist position apply at: https://opportunities.columbia.edu/en-us/job/498926/publicist.
For the humanities books Publicist position apply at: https://opportunities.columbia.edu/en-us/job/504431/publicist.
Requisition no: 498926 and 504431
Work type: Full Time
Location: New York, NY USA
School/Department: Columbia University, CU Press
Grade: Grade 10
Categories: Marketing/Sales, Other
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.