Apollo Publishers is seeking a dynamic, media savvy, and motivated Publicist with prior publishing PR experience.
Apollo Publishers is an exciting young publishing house specializing in adult trade nonfiction with a timely and topical bend. The role will allow hands-on experience as part of a small team, and the ability to play a central role in all stages of the promotion process. The Publicist will report directly to the publishers, and must be able to take the initiative and work efficiently in a small company environment.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Create pre- and post-pub media campaigns
- Execute on media campaigns
- Develop and write press materials, pitch letters, media lists, and related components
- Manage creation of marketing materials such as galleys, cards, and posters
- Distribute PR and marketing materials
- Pitch to media via phone, email, and in person
- Plan and execute author appearances and signings
- Maintain up-to-date lists of media contacted and media landed
- Coach and advise authors on successful media practices
- Manage social media campaigns, blog tours, and author Q&A and op-ed opportunities
- Assist with online and digital advertising
- Assist with regular author newsletter
- Attend local events and local press appearances
- Promote backlist titles on an ongoing basis
- Advocate for authors and Apollo Publishers
The successful candidate will:
- Have personal relationships with key media producers and editors
- Have a history of executing successful PR campaigns
- Be able to shift seamlessly between traditional and online publicity
- Understand the nuances and significances of both trade and library publicity
- Regularly consume media from across the cultural landscape
- Display a clear understanding of the relationship between media and sales
- Be excited to contribute to the growth of a small company
- Be creative, driven, and goal-oriented
- Love nonfiction books
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 3 years prior PR experience in publishing
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Comfort on the phone, in email, and in person
- Proven organizational skills
- Consummate professionalism and a record as a both a team player and a self-starter
- Digital savviness: comfort with databases and email; html a plus
- Experience with Cision, Edelweiss, NetGalley, and BookScan; LightningSource and Amazon Services a plus
- Ability to work regular hours in Manhattan office with occasional evening and weekend events
About Apollo Publishers
Apollo Publishers was conceived of in 2016 by two publishing industry veterans. It published its first title in March 2018 and has regularly published books since then. It aims to publish approximately twenty books in 2020, and then expand its publishing program. Its books are carefully chosen and its list well-curated. Apollo has two publishers, an editorial assistant, a veteran art director, and copyediting and proofreading teams. Distribution into all major retail and specialty sales channels nationwide is by Ingram Publisher Services; ebook editions are created in-house and also distributed through IPS. Audio and foreign language editions are sold via subrights.
Apollo Publishers prides itself on being an exciting new addition to the mostly staid publishing world and having proven itself to be nimble and effective. We value editorial excellence and we believe every book deserves individual attention and a chance to shine.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.