We are seeking a Publicist to join our team at Catapult/Counterpoint/Soft Skull. The ideal candidate will have several years of publicity experience, preferable with a trade book publisher focusing on high-quality fiction and nonfiction; media contacts and familiarity with both major and niche media outlets; have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, a proven ability to juggle projects and duties, demonstrated organizational skills along with creativity, a strong passion for reading (both for books we publish and books in the market), and knowledge of the contemporary literary world.
People of color, people with a disability, veteran, immigrant, refugee, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates must love books, have impeccable attention to detail, the ability to be proactive and problem-solve, and a communication style that instills confidence in authors, editors, and agents. The ideal candidate will be reliably self-managed, adaptable, and motivated to meet deadlines, learn new skills and actively participate in a thriving literary community. We are keen to find someone who thrives in the high-paced publicity world. We are searching for candidates who enjoy networking with the media, representing our books at industry-related events, and who enjoy putting themselves out there (on social media) to share their love for the books they work on.
This position is based in New York City, but we would consider a remote position for the right candidate. Please note that at the time, due to COVID-19, this position will work from home for the foreseeable future.
Our publicist will have the following responsibilities; however, this is not an exhaustive list:
• Design and execute targeted media campaigns for A and B list titles across all three imprints, including narrative nonfiction, biography, fiction, current events, travel, politics, poetry, environment and memoirs (approx. 16-20 titles per year)
• Create media lists and maintain publicity databases (knowledge of Cision/Meltwater a plus)
• Develop tailored press materials (including press releases, author praise sheets, email pitches, and more) while overseeing review copy mailings (from a distance)
• Pitch books to media contacts, including print, online, television, and radio, with follow-ups via email and phone.
• Analyze and report on the efficacy of PR outreach in weekly meetings
• Attend industry conferences/conventions/festivals, author events, and in•person media meetings (when safe to do so)
• Build relationships with and liaise directly with cultural influencers
• Brainstorm event pairings/ideas with our Events Team (along with pitching local media for our many events). Our events department is separate from publicity so while you won’t be responsible for booking tours, your creative feedback on events/partners/etc. will be part of the job.
• Contribute creative ideas and new approaches to book publicity, while brainstorming with our marketing team
• Commit to diversity and inclusion, and the multifaceted work of book publicity through an equity lens
Proficiency in the following software platforms is preferred but not necessary: Meltwater and/or Cision, Google Drive, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Mailchimp.
ABOUT CATAPULT/COUNTERPOINT/SOFT SKULL
Catapult, Counterpoint, and Soft Skull Press have distinct editorial teams but share marketing, publicity, design, and production resources. Our Catapult list offers a space for risk-taking writers from all over the world to collide and be in conversation, bringing you literary fiction and artful narrative nonfiction from voices, emerging and established, that honor the craft of writing and broaden the literary landscape in America and beyond, serving the needs of a diverse and serious literary readership. Counterpoint’s list covers a wide array of genres—fiction (both story collections and novels) and nonfiction (both narrative and subject-driven), all of which collectively focus on current affairs and politics, counterculture, history, the environment, memoir, literary biography, religion, and philosophy. Soft Skull Press publishes books of every genre that engage art, culture, and current events in new and radical ways. All three imprints are committed to publishing diverse voices and literature in translation and have received numerous literary awards. Counterpoint’s main office is in Berkeley, California. Catapult and Soft Skull are based in NYC.
Job Type: Full-time
Required experience: 2-3 years experience required in book publicity
Please send a resume and cover letter to Megan Fishmann at email@example.com.