PEN/Faulkner brings literature to life for diverse communities by investing resources in fostering readers and writers at every age and level of expertise. We administer two of the country’s preeminent awards for fiction; host a reading series that brings accomplished authors to DC; and coordinate Writers in Schools (WinS), a free literary arts outreach program that provides works of contemporary literature to DC public and public charter schools, arranges for the authors of those works to visit classrooms, and supplies teachers with curricular materials through which students can deepen their understanding and connect literature to their own lived experiences.
The Programs and Development Internship will focus on outreach, marketing, and research, centered around our public literary events and projects. These projects include our ongoing programs, such as smaller book clubs, author talks, and joint events with DC partner organizations.
- Research on contemporary authors for upcoming literary events
- Organization and categorization of PEN/Faulkner archival materials
- Basic graphic design for both print and online material
- Content generation for multiple social media platforms
- Development research, to include identifying potential underwriters for public events
- General copywriting & administrative tasks
- Other duties as needed
The ideal candidate has:
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Some experience with graphic design and social media
- An interest in outreach or marketing
- The ability and drive to work independently and as part of a team
- A passion for literature