Behind the Book, a non-profit organization, works directly in New York City public schools, providing rich, innovative literacy programs to pre-K–12 classrooms. We identify books that speak to urban students, then partners with teachers to create immersive curriculum units that bring the authors into classrooms to discuss their books and teach a genre of writing, encouraging students to see themselves as readers and writers.
The Program Intern assists with the design, implementation, and administration of our school programs. The intern works closely with the Director of Programs and Program Coordinators to support all aspects of program development and individual workshops. The position is based in our Harlem office, with a commitment for one semester, minimum of two days per week, with flexible hours per week. Once a week interns can meet with our founder and Executive Director to ask questions and learn about starting and running a non-profit.
- Working with students in classrooms
- Managing the Behind the Book library, conducting research and managing review copies
- Assisting and editing student book publication
- Input data for yearly evaluation
- Supporting staff with program logistics and administration
- Assisting in creating lesson plans, activities, and worksheets for programs