City Lights Publishers was founded by poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti in 1955, two years after he opened his now-legendary City Lights Bookstore. We are dedicated to the role that books and bookstores play in the cultivation and dissemination of human knowledge and experience.
We are looking to hire an experienced book production manager to oversee the production of approximately 16 titles per year. The person in this role will shepherd books through the entire production process from creative inception to getting physical books into the distribution warehouse and ebooks into that distribution chain.
Responsibilities include setting and maintaining schedules; corresponding with editors; supervising the work of freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, compositors and indexers; serving as the liaison with designers and compositors; serving as the liaison with printers; overseeing all stages of page proof, digital proofs; jacket and cover proofs; and close collaboration with acquisitions, design, and marketing teams.
*The position of Production Manager is a part-time position, with potential for more if Designer/Typesetter is added.
Additional responsibilities for Designer/Typesetter would include layout and page design; template creation; typesetting; and creation of print-ready files.
Production Manager Responsibilities:
- Supervise the production of new publications, from receipt of edited manuscript through bound book/epub.
- Manage multiple projects while maintaining high standards of quality control and tight production schedules.
- Coordinate with and inform Publisher, Marketing/Publicity, and Distribution regarding scheduling, planning, and trafficking to meet deadlines.
- Hire and supervise the work of freelance copy editors, proofreaders, and indexers.
- Prepare manuscripts for design.
- Review submitted materials at manuscript stage to identify and troubleshoot potential production problems.
- Evaluate and coordinate artwork and/or back-matter materials.
- Serve as liaison to designers, production, and manufacturing.
- Manage print vendors (print/ebook), from RFQs to providing print files, to checking proofs, to shipping instructions.
- QC and preflight files to ensure compliance with file naming protocols, folder structures, printer specs, font standards, and stylesheets.
- Maintain digital archives of completed products
- Document and maintain departmental standards for preflighting and templating.
Interior Layout/Composition Responsibilities:
- Creation of design specifications
- InDesign template creation based on design specifications
- Flow manuscript into InDesign templates based on design specifications
- Input corrections into existing InDesign files
Applicants should have at least two years print and ebook project management experience in book publishing, working knowledge of Print manufacturing processes, Adobe Suite and Excel skills, effective organizational and multitasking abilities, and a talent for clear communication. An ideal applicant would feel a resonance with the books that City Lights has published, and a desire to contribute to its ongoing publishing project.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working experience managing print projects, possessing a strong knowledge of traditional and digital printing.
- Thorough knowledge and hands-on experience with all phases of book production, including implementation of Word track changes, thorough knowledge of InDesign and/or similar paging programs. Understanding of basic rudiments of art and design.
- Experience in implementing document design templates.
- Demonstrated proficiency in file transfer tools (i.e. FTP/DropBox), file conversion, and printing processes.
- Experience working and collaborating in a project team.
- Ability to effectively manage work flow with multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently.
- Meticulous and consistent attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to interface with internal departments and external book publication/production community.
- Ability to supervise the work of others.
To apply: Resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Stacey Lewis | City Lights | 261 Columbus Avenue San Francisco CA 94133.