Restless Books, an independent nonprofit publisher of international literature based in Gowanus, Brooklyn, seeks an eighty-percent-time Production Manager to coordinate print and digital production for 14–16 titles per year and to manage title information and website content. The Production Manager will work closely with the Restless staff as well as freelancers and outside vendors. Candidates must be highly motivated, detail-driven, and capable of meeting deadlines and working in a team environment.
- Two years professional experience managing detailed schedules and deadlines for an established business.
- Some familiarity with book production preferred, including interior and cover design, stock selection, e-Book production, and metadata.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills and the ability to prioritize and multitask.
- Ability to learn and effectively use systems such as task management software, Google Drive, Dropbox, Excel, Adobe Photoshop and InDesign, and website content management.
- Superior attention to detail, both textually and visually.
- Ability to meet and coordinate deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills and delegation ability.
- 32 hours a week spread over four or five days, flexible within office hours of 9 AM–6 PM, Monday–Friday.
- Up to 12 hours a week can be remote from office.
- Work in close collaboration with Restless staff, reporting to Editor and Marketing Director Nathan Rostron.
- Maintain a detailed production schedule across all titles for manuscript editing and delivery, cover design, interior artwork, copy and metadata distribution, advance review copy production, copyediting, layout and typesetting, proofreading, e-Book production, printing, shipping, and warehousing.
- Lead a weekly production meeting with Restless staff.
- Maintain title info, metadata, production files and digital assets in the Restless database, title management system, and company website.
- Assign freelancers and coordinate scheduling with artists, designers, copyeditors, printers, shipping companies, and the distributor warehouse.
- Solicit printing quotes and manage production budgets.
- Design print and digital advance review copies.
- Upload e-Books to retailer sites and manage e-Book metadata.
- Coordinate production of the biannual Restless catalog.
- Stay up to speed on paper stocks, finishes, cover treatments, ink selection, and production terminology.
- Monitor warehouse stock and arrange reprints.
Send a resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in the Restless Books Production Manager position to Editor and Marketing Director Nathan Rostron: firstname.lastname@example.org.