Small, funky, independent press seeking a creative, enthusiastic, self-motivated individual to join our team. We are two presses – Platypus Media and Science Naturally. We publish parenting books, early childhood books, and elementary/middle school titles primarily on science and math. Our line includes fiction and nonfiction, English, bilingual (E/S), and Spanish titles as well as a number of other languages. This is a dynamic, hands-on office and the Production Editor and Support Team Leader assists in almost all office functions.
- Assist in manuscript evaluation, acquisition, and development,
- See books through to production and help with launch and marketing,
- Communicate with our authors, illustrators, distributors, and large customers,
- Facilitate coordination and scheduling between editorial, design, and production for projects,
- Design flyers, catalogs, book covers, and book interiors, as well as marketing materials to support each project,
- Develop webpage, newsletter, press release, and social media content for each title,
- Work with other publishers on international rights and permissions,
- Occasionally sell books at regional educational conferences and book shows,
- An interest in science and/or preferred, but not required,
- Spanish proficiency preferred, but not required,
- Ideal candidate is comfortable working in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and HTML.
Position will begin remote, but move to on-site as conditions allow.
Start date flexible, but early June preferred.
This is a full-time, on-site position.
We have a casual working environment located in the heart of Washington, D.C., near the U.S. Capitol, walking distance to the Metro.
We offer sick and vacation pay and federal holidays.
Submit resume, cover letter, writing sample, and two references to Martha Lamborn at Martha@PlatypusMedia.com.