North Atlantic Books (NAB) is a leading independent nonprofit publisher in Berkeley, CA. We are seeking a Production Editor to join our team in shepherding titles in key areas like health and wellness, personal growth, and holistic lifestyle; and in emerging categories like social justice, cannabis, and trauma and somatics. NAB offers the benefits of working with a nonprofit with a conscience and teams with Penguin Random House in distribution to reach a wide range of readers. We endeavor to walk the talk of our mission in our interactions with authors, readers, booksellers, and the community at large. North Atlantic Books is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
The Production Editor is the primary editorial/production liaison between North Atlantic Books and our authors and publishing partners. It is the PE’s job to convey information to them about our policies, timing, and dates, and to smoothly steer their books through all aspects of production, from copyediting to printed book or final digital product. The PE supervises and coordinates work with copyeditors, designers, and any other outsourced personnel.
- Keep track of and manage 6–8 titles per season through all stages of production—editing, design, proofs, indexing, printing, publication
- Review and assess the work of freelance copyeditors and designers
- Communicate tactfully and effectively with publishing partners and authors
- Keep books on tight schedule and clearly communicate deadlines
- Evaluate editing needs; do sample edits; read proofs; check corrections
- Assist in obtaining permissions and reviews/blurbs
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent; advanced degree work and copyediting background a plus
- Experience with and affinity for subject areas North Atlantic publishes
- 2–4 years experience as a production editor or equivalent; knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style
- Must have a track record of exercising sound judgment steering manuscripts through production
- Strong communication, writing, and negotiating skills (must work with authors, editors, designers, indexers, marketing personnel, etc.)
- Must be fiscally conscious, experienced in working within budgets, problem-solving, and working with others
- Thorough knowledge of the production process in trade publishing
Reports to: Managing Editor
Salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time position at 40 hours/week. Excellent benefits: health, vision, and dental plan; 401K; paid sabbatical; flexible spending plan. Pleasant central Berkeley neighborhood and flexible work environment.
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to Emily Boyd. No phone calls, please.