Mascot Books is a full-service hybrid publisher dedicated to helping authors professionally create a high quality printed or digital book that matches their vision. With comprehensive editorial, design, production, marketing, and distribution services, our authors have the support of an experienced publishing team. We’re seeking a production assistant who is comfortable taking on new challenges and has a passion for books.
Responsibilities and Requirements:
- Candidate should be a strong editor, familiar with Chicago Manual of Style and industry standards, and have an interest in adult genres, particularly nonfiction
- Candidate will be responsible for assisting the team of production editors by marking and verifying edits, general copyediting, drafting consumer-facing copy, reviewing interior layouts for industry compliance, handling freelance editor applications, and other related production department tasks
- Candidate must be able to professionally interact with internal and external clients in order to respond to messages, accurately complete tasks, and follow up on requests
- Candidate must be self-motivated, a skilled editor, detail-oriented, and extremely well-organized
- Candidate should be able to prioritize competing tasks, meet deadlines, effectively multitask, and handle high priority projects as they arise
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a necessity
- Candidate must be driven enough to know what tasks need to be accomplished on a given day and able to communicate effectively if competing deadlines arise
This is a full-time, entry level position. One to two years of prior work experience in an office environment is preferred. Industry experience is a plus, not a must. Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree, preferably in English or a related field.