Symphony Space, the multi-disciplinary performing arts center at 95th Street & Broadway in New York City, seeks a full-time, dynamic, and energetic Producer to work with the Director of Literary Programs in all aspects of the literary programs of Symphony Space. These include:
- Selected Shorts: Let Us Tell You A Story, a 12-program live series featuring new and classic short stories read onstage by actors; the 52 week Selected Shorts Radio Series through which stories are broadcast nationwide on public radio stations; and the Literary Touring Program which brings Selected Shorts to locations across the country;
- Selected Shorts: All Write!, a 2-program live series for adult literacy students;
- Thalia Book Club, a live series in which readers and writers meet for intimate conversations about new and classic books, and the young person’s version: Thalia Kids Book Club, and its spin-off Thalia Kids Book Club Camp; and
- Uptown Showdown, a comedy debate series.
We are looking for an effective administrator and a “thought partner” who will work with the Lit team in developing and implementing original programming. The ideal candidate is a quick learner with excellent communication skills (written and verbal), attention to detail, and strong organizational ability. H/she brings a passion for literature, a demonstrated engagement with the NYC literary world of writers, bloggers, booksellers, etc., and at least three years of experience producing events for a variety of audiences. Must be willing to work some nights and weekends, as well as travel with Selected Shorts 3+ times per year.
The Producer joins a department of three full-time staff, two interns, and two consultants. H/she reports to the Director of Literary Programs, and works closely with the Director of Marketing on outreach, especially social media.
- organizing work flow to ensure that programmatic deadlines are met
- developing programming, including selecting books, stories and concepts for all programs
- seeking out and confirming authors, hosts and performers for the series mentioned above
- managing all stages of events from inception to event execution, including coordinating schedules with agents and artists, overseeing tech needs, book orders, travel and author services, etc.
- preparing and following through on literary permission letters and reader agreement letters
- assisting in tracking the finances of the department
- working with the Director on program planning, marketing, and social media
- assisting the Director in oversight of two interns
We offer a competitive salary and a benefits package that includes health insurance; life and long-term disability insurance; flexible spending plan; annuity plan; and a generous vacation schedule.
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please put PRODUCER in the subject line. Materials may also be sent to Symphony Space, 2537 Broadway, New York, NY 10025 Attention: Jennifer Brennan Fax: 212-932-3228.
Symphony Space is a multi-disciplinary performing arts center where bold programming, presented in a uniquely warm and welcoming environment, forges indelible relationships between artists and audiences. Our fundamental mission is to connect art, ideas, and community through our programs and our commitment to literacy and education through the arts. On our New York City stages, through our national broadcasts, and in the classrooms and communities we serve throughout the country, we foster access to the arts through all the disciplines. Our embrace of the audience and the arts is wide, and the experience of our audience is deep and enriched.
For more information, visit: https://www.symphonyspace.org.