Astra Magazine Mission Statement
Astra Magazine is a new international literary magazine coming in March 2022. Connecting readers and writers from around the world — New York to Mexico City, Lagos to Berlin, Copenhagen to Singapore and beyond—the magazine will focus on literature in translation and original writing in English. Astra’s print issues will contain fiction, poetry, comics, art, and narrative non-fiction, from names you may already be familiar with alongside new voices. Our online publication will supplement the print magazine with book reviews, essays, and cultural criticism.
Astra Magazine seeks a (very) Online Editor to join the team as we build towards launching our online platforms in early 2022. The ideal candidate will be familiar with the swirling maelstrom of literary twitter (“the discourse”) and have an interest in cultural and aesthetic trends outside the United States. The online editor should have an innate understanding of the difference between something that will be read and shared, and something that will be opened in a tab and left to languish. You can: work quickly and responsively, flirt with danger, tie your own shoelaces. You’ve found diamonds in the rough before; you know where to look.
This role is an opportunity to be a founding and guiding editorial member of a new literary magazine. An editorial vision, a sense of humour, previous online editorial experience and the ability to write a headline and find the art that will grab attention are essential. Technical proficiencies with regard to scheduling and posting, and a roster of contacts, are greatly appreciated.
In your cover letter, please include 2-3 examples of potential rubrics or recurring features for Astra’s website. You can also mention 2-3 “dream writers” you’d like to work with who would be a good fit for the magazine. Remember that Astra is, at its heart, an international literary magazine with a cosmopolitan, multicultural, transgressive bent.
Please Note: this is a full-time role that will begin as a flexible remote position with 1–2 days per week in office. The successful candidate will need to reside within commuting distance of NYC.
Key responsibilities include (in close collaboration with the Editor in Chief):
- Commissioning, editing and publishing original online articles for the magazine’s website
- In conjunction with the rest of the editorial team, coordinate an online production schedule for reviews and excerpts
- Work with the rest of the editorial team on rolling out the print issues online
- Production and posting of articles: captioning, headlines, sourcing appropriate illustrations and art
- Create and maintain an online production calendar
- Invoice and oversee payment to contributors
- Strategise and oversee social media presence
Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated interest and professionalisation in the literary arts, with focus in the field of literary translation a bonus.
- Proficiency in language(s) other than English highly valued
- Professional experience in magazine or literary publishing, specifically commissioning and editing online articles
- Highly proficient copy editing skills
- Detail oriented approach
- Clear communication skills, ability to meet deadlines and manage team-wide deadlines
- Familiarity with CMS & Wordpress
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should apply by January 4th with a letter of interest, a CV, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Online Editor.” In your cover letter, please include 2-3 examples of potential rubrics or recurring features for Astra’s website. You can also mention 2-3 “dream writers” you’d like to work with who would be a good fit for the magazine. Remember that Astra is, at its heart, an international literary magazine with a cosmopolitan, multicultural, transgressive bent. We're excited to hear your vision for its website.
Headquartered in New York City, Astra Publishing House consists of Astra House and a range of children’s imprints, as well as Astra Magazine.
Reports to: EIC, Astra Magazine
Normal location: New York, NY
Benefits: Health; 401k
Astra Publishing House is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, or citizenship.