The National Book Foundation is seeking a seasonal assistant for the 2019 National Book Awards. Now in its 70th year, the National Book Awards (NBA) is one of the nation’s premier literary honors, and has a stellar record of recognizing the best literature in America. The Awards Assistant will report to both the Awards and Relationships Manager and Senior Manager, Communications and Marketing, functioning as a key member of the small team that plans and executes the National Book Awards and the various announcements and events leading up to the dinner and ceremony on Wednesday, November 20 at Cipriani Wall Street in New York City. The Awards Assistant will be responsible for a wide range of tasks related to communications, publicity, event planning, on-site troubleshooting, and more. This is a New York-based, full-time contracted position for the dates of August 1 through December 20.
- Assist in the day-to-day tasks of planning a large-scale (750+ person) dinner and ceremony, including duties related to event planning, guest relations, press relations, and marketing
- Attend and assist with multiple National Book Awards events that take place on the evenings of Monday through Wednesday the week of November 18 (5 Under 35, NBA Medal Ceremony, NBA Finalists Reading, NBA ceremony and dinner)
- Additional tasks as agreed upon
Awards and Relationships
- Alongside the Awards and Relationships Manager, update and maintain NBA dinner contacts in the Foundation's database (Blackbaud's eTapestry) and produce reports on tables, tickets, and donations for the National Book Awards
- Oversee interns and volunteers for events during National Book Awards week
- Help manage database of 2019 NBA author contact information, including liaising on logistical communications with publicists for National Book Awards week
- Coordinate sales of advertisements for the National Book Awards program book to publishers, book sales channel partners, embassies, and other interested parties
- Help create and manage guest lists and handle guest-related inquiries at events
Marketing and Communications
- Gather and fact check info on authors, awards, and organizations for all public announcements surrounding the 70th National Book Awards season
- Assist in the process of planning and producing NBA design materials, including contacting and following up with designers, printers, and event venue staff
- Update and maintain contact lists for press, social media users, newsletter recipients, and partner organizations
- Conduct online research for various press-related outreach, including use of MuckRack
- Draft and copyedit a wide range of materials (emails, press releases, marketing copy, social media posts) for both internal and external use
- Assist with the production and posting of updates on various social media platforms, including visual and written assets
- Work with the Foundation’s Director of Technology to make additions and changes to NBA-related content on the Foundation’s website
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience with event production preferred
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to problem solve effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop a big plus
- A patient, flexible, and collaborative spirit
This position pays a competitive hourly rate.
Send cover letter and resume as PDFs to email@example.com with the subject line “Awards Assistant.” Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis as they are received.
The National Book Foundation is committed to inclusivity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, nationality, marital status, parental status, military service, or disability.