The American Booksellers Association, the trade association for independent bookstores, seeks a full-time Membership and Database Assistant for its White Plains, New York, office. Reporting to the Senior Membership Manager, the MDA will primarily be responsible for providing administrative and database-related support to the membership department. They will also serve as the junior representative of the member relations team and will manage two of ABA’s nine member regions. The successful candidate will be detail-oriented; have strong written, oral, and interpersonal skills; possess excellent organizational skills; and have the ability to meet deadlines. The Membership and Database Assistant role will be divided as follows:
- Process and input new organization and individual records
- Assist in the organization, maintenance, storage, and presentation of ABA data
- Oversee the collection and updating of membership information in order to maintain accuracy and timeliness of data including, but not limited to, event registration, program participation, digital mailing lists, store and individual biographic details
- Prepare regular, periodic, and ad-hoc membership reports
- Execute substantial data development projects as assigned
Member Relations (25%)
- Manage a portfolio of bookstore accounts as primary liaison
- Develop relationships with bookstores and booksellers
- Communicate with member bookstores about new and evergreen programs and services
- Reach out to non-member bookstores about the benefits of ABA
- Travel to regional trade shows and ABA conferences (required)
- Support the membership department in other duties determined by the Senior Membership Manager
- Strong computer skills with an emphasis on Civi-CRM and Drupal, or similar CRM and database programs; highly proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word; as well as an ability and willingness to learn additional software as necessary
- Demonstrated experience providing excellent customer service in a busy work environment (bookselling industry preferred)
- Highly organized and able to independently and effectively manage short- and long-term projects
- Personable demeanor and excellent communication skills over the phone, in writing, and in person
- An interest in technology and the independent bookselling industry
White Plains, New York. Shuttle service is provided from the White Plains MetroNorth train station.
Founded in 1900, the American Booksellers Association is a national not-for-profit trade organization that works to help independently owned bookstores grow and succeed. ABA’s core members are key participants in their communities' local economy and culture, and to assist them ABA creates relevant programs; provides education, information, business products, and services; and engages in public policy and industry advocacy. The Association actively supports and defends free speech and the First Amendment rights of all Americans.
How to Apply:
Email resume and cover letter, addressed to Senior Membership Manager, Daniel O’Brien, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Membership & Database Assistant” in the subject line. No calls, please.
The American Booksellers Association is committed to fostering a diverse staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, or disability status. For more information about ABA, visit BookWeb.org.