The Center for Fiction is seeking a Marketing and Public Relations Manager. This position will help to strengthen our unique voice and support strategic marketing and public relations initiatives across the organization.
The Center for Fiction, founded in 1820 as the Mercantile Library, is the only organization in the United States devoted solely to the vital art of fiction. The mission of The Center is to encourage people to read and value fiction and to support and celebrate its creation and enjoyment. For more information please visit our website at: www.centerforfiction.org.
The Marketing and Public Relations Manager will:
- Develop the annual marketing plan and budget, and proactively generate ways to advance The Center’s public profile, increase audiences and attract and retain members.
- Actively market and promote The Center’s projects, programs, and public events, in close partnership with the Director of Public Programs, including formal press release distribution, article development and pitches, and social media placements.
- Collaborate with staff around the execution of all marketing and PR for The Center, its programs, membership and website, as well as related activities.
- Manage the development and execution of all PR communications and act as a key contact to outside vendors and consultants.
- Manage the distribution of all marketing deliverables in consultation with key staff to ensure all formatting, aesthetics and content are in‐line with The Center’s standards and expectations.
- Creatively manage The Center’s membership drives, membership renewal and membership retention programs working closely with the Director of Development.
- In consultation with the Webmaster/Graphic Designer, and other key staff, coordinate the Center’s web-based marketing related activities including: e-newsletters, online advertisements, membership drives, etc.
- Work closely with the Webmaster/Graphic Designer to ensure successful online marketing strategies and SEO.
- Manage The Center’s social media presence and work with staff to develop The Center’s social media style and voice across various platforms.
- Create opportunities for marketing and PR partnerships with the input of the management team.
- Continually evaluate and improve the PR and marketing strategies and implementation.
- 3-5 years of proven experience in marketing and public relations through either in-house and/or agency experience;
- Knowledge of the New York Area media market a plus;
- Background in the arts and/or literary setting;
- Experience with program management, budget management and reporting/metrics;
- Current knowledge of digital communications techniques, social media engagement, and content amplification;
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Entrepreneurial spirit, including the ability to work autonomously;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, and a focused listener able to work quickly, thoughtfully, and collaboratively;
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills; and,
- Knowledge of wordpress, mailchimp, the adobe suite and Neon One or other databases a plus;
- Bachelor’s degree or similar
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter with salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Preference will be given to candidates whose cover letters directly address the position being offered. This is an immediate opening and the position will remain open until filled. We will only respond to those with whom an interview is requested. No calls and no recruiters, please.
The Center for Fiction is committed to building a diverse and culturally vibrant team. As an Equal Opportunity Employer we respect and value diversity and inclusion, and engage employees without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, familial status, military status, domestic violence status, sexual orientation, predisposing genetic characteristics, or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.