The Loft Literary Center is the country’s leading nonprofit literary center, offering classes, events, and services for readers and writers in Open Book, in community settings, and increasingly online. The Loft also supports writers and readers through grants, mentorships, writing studios, regular readings and spoken word series, and a wealth of resources about craft and the writing life on its website.
The award-winning Loft Literary Center is renowned for the quality of its programming and its service to the community.
Position Purpose: The marketing and communications assistant develops and maintains compelling and accurate digital content via enewsletters, website, and other venues. This work introduces new people to Loft program offerings while also ensuring that existing Loft constituents remain connected and engaged.
Position Summary: The marketing and communications assistant will primarily work on developing enewsletter content and outreach through marketing automation and ensuring accurate digital content including event and class descriptions, author and teacher bios, and compelling blog content.
The list below is representative of the essential duties for the job, but it is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of duties required to perform this role. As a member of the Loft staff, other duties may be assigned to fulfill the Loft’s mission, vision and strategic plan objectives. For major events all staff are expected to work some evenings and weekends.
- Manage the Loft’s mass email outreach through the marketing automation system and Salesforce.
- Maintain and enforce the Loft style guide on all Loft materials.
- Write, edit, and maintain Loft artist bios, class and event descriptions, and other informational copy across multiple systems (including the Loft's Drupal website, Pheedloop event manager, and Salesforce).
- Organize, edit, and maintain artist and book cover photo library.
- Represent the Loft at occasional public events.
- Edit and maintain the Loft blog.
- Exceptional and demonstrated writing and editing skills
- Marketing or outreach experience
- Marketing automation and/or e-newsletter experience
- The ability to analyze results and adapt as needed
- Aptitude to work within, learn, and adapt to constantly changing systems and technology
- Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of constituents
- Flexible schedule as needed
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience with a sales or development database (such as Salesforce)
- A sense of humor and an ease of communication
- A love of literature and the Loft’s work
This position is part time (20 hours per week). A standard schedule is mostly possible, but there will be occasional weekend and evening work required for major Loft events (primarily Wordsmith and Wordplay). NOTE: Loft employees are not eligible to apply for Loft awards for writers.
Hours: The position is part-time, hourly, non-exempt and reports to the marketing and communications director while working closely with the membership manager and program directors. A standard week is 20 hours spread some time over a Tuesday–Friday, 8 a.m.–6 p.m. window. Occasional evening or weekend time may be expected. The Loft offices are closed on Mondays.
Compensation: $15.50/hour plus a pro-rated benefits package, including generous paid time off.
To Apply: Please prepare the following documentation: 1) your cover letter 2) a resumé and 3) the names and contact information of three confidential references (you do not need letters of reference). You can prepare these documents as MS Word or PDF documents.
Once prepared, submit materials through this site: https://loft.submittable.com/submit/145793/job-postingmarketing-and-communications-assistant. Due to the expected number of applicants, we request that you do not call or email to check on your application status. You will get a confirmation by email to let you know that your application was received.
Hiring Process: Applications are due by September 2 at midnight. Interviews will take place in early to mid-September.
The Loft is an equal opportunity employer.
To learn more, please visit https://loft.org.