The University of Iowa, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (CLAS), has a position as Managing Editor for The Iowa Review at 100% appointment in the Department of English. The Managing Editor will manage publication of the literary journal The Iowa Review (TIR), including editing manuscripts, supervising design and production, budgeting, supervising staff and interns, and working with staff to coordinate website, social media, and other publicity efforts.
Celebrating its 50th year of continuous publication, The Iowa Review publishes the best short stories, poems, and essays being written today, often being pleased to introduce new writers. Once published in TIR, work has recently been selected for Best American Poetry, Best American Essays, Best American Nonrequired Reading, the Pushcart Prize, and the Robert J. Dau Short Story Prize.
The Managing Editor is responsible for day-to-day management of TIR’s office, including supervision of 3 graduate student editors and hiring and supervision of 4 undergraduate interns. With the exception of the bulk of submission evaluation and developmental editing (done by student editors and the Editor in Chief) and layout/design (done by a freelance designer), the Managing Editor holds responsibility for carrying out or supervising all aspects publishing a literary magazine.
Key responsibilities include:
- Maintain and comply with copyright regulations. Oversee print production of TIR and electronic production of its website. Commission articles and illustrations as needed. Make sure issues reach subscribers and bookstores.
- Manage TIR’s subscription fulfillment operations: provide customer service, organize renewal efforts, maintain subscription database, and process new subscriptions and renewals.
- Maintain online webstore and process individual issue orders. Fulfill newsstand orders. Send content to digital archives. Keep track of product inventory.
- Oversee the day-to-day business and administrative functions of TIR, including answering queries to TIR’s email address, preparing materials for bookfairs, representing TIR at bookfairs as needed (including one out-of-town trip per year, the AWP conference), maintaining online submission account (Submittable), and planning and publicizing events.
- Design and place advertisements.
- Develop strategies for increasing sales, subscriptions, and donations.
For additional job details and to apply please visit https://jobs.uiowa.edu/ and access requisition #20003799.
Salary for 100% time position will be $55,000-60,000.
The Department and the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences are strongly committed to diversity; the strategic plans of the University and College reflect this commitment. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.