Astra Magazine is a forthcoming international literary magazine of fiction, narrative non-fiction, art, and poetry. Astra’s mission is to publish the best contemporary writing from around the world, celebrate translators, and to uplift writers across borders. The magazine will launch in early 2022 as a print quarterly and a website.
Astra Magazine seeks a collaborative, detail-oriented Managing Editor to oversee production for a new literary quarterly. The successful candidate will have experience in literary magazine or book publishing, a passion for literature, and a demonstrated desire to efficiently manage workflow and schedules. This is an opportunity to join a new literary journal from its very first issue and help shape its structure.
Please Note: this is a full-time role that will begin as a flexible remote position with 1–2 days per week in office. The successful candidate will need to reside within commuting distance of NYC.
Key responsibilities include (in close collaboration with the Editor in Chief):
- Establishing, evaluating for efficiency, and improving organization systems, databases, and processes.
- Creating, managing, and enforcing the editorial/production schedule; acting as editorial/production/marketing traffic control center and information hub
- Conceiving and implementing an in-house style guide
- Overseeing copy-edits and proofs online and on each issue of the magazine; maintaining production and copy standards across website and print magazine
- Tracking contracts, payments, and reprint requests for editorial acquisitions and translations (print and online)
- Spearheading awards submissions, managing awards database
- Coordinating fact-checking as needed
- Coordinating editorial team and contributors around issue launches and other events/ tracking and sending contributor copies
- Liasing with external vendors such as subscription fulfillment center, printers, and distributors, as needed
- Tracking and evaluating submissions, especially if proficient in a language other than English, Spanish, French, or Portuguese.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated interest and professionalisation in the literary arts, with experience in the field of literary translation a bonus.
- Proficiency in language(s) other than English highly valued
- Professional experience in magazine or literary publishing, specifically in print production and scheduling
- Highly proficient copy editing skills
- Detail oriented approach
- Clear communication skills, ability to meet deadlines and manage team-wide deadlines
- Familiarity with Adobe Suite (InDesign) and Microsoft Office Suite
Interested candidates should apply before September 13th with a letter of interest, a CV, and salary requirements to email@example.com with the subject line “Managing Editor.”
Reports to: EIC, Astra Magazine
Normal location: New York, NY
Benefits: Health; 401k