This is a key administrative position in a highly collaborative independent publishing environment. This position is the “air traffic controller” at the heart of that collaboration, so we are looking for a person with impeccable organizational and time management skills, someone detail-oriented, and an excellent communicator.
- Manage the schedules for all print and digital book production ensuring that target dates are met and deadlines are communicated to the Editorial, Publicity, Marketing and Design Teams
- Run all editorial production including copyediting and proofing (including outsourcing), in coordination with editors and authors, supervising development of and adherence to schedules, and the maintenance of house style.
- Collaborate with design team and printers to set priorities and coordinate schedules, establish standards, institute and streamline internal and external workflows
- Liaise with outside vendors and authors as necessary to answer questions, traffic materials and resolve ad hoc issues
This is not an entry level position. Candidates should have 2–3 years working in managing editorial specifically at a company publishing books, as opposed to other print matter.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as interpersonal and organizational skills
- 2–3 years experience working in InDesign and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word (including the “track changes” editing function) and Excel
- Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills; knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style
- Strong work ethic and positive attitude
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven ability to work well under pressure in a deadline-driven environment
- Familiarity with digital products including experience with ePub files
- A sense of humor won't kill you
Printer relationships and experience with post editorial production not required, but a plus.
Applications should be sent digitally to Chris Alexander at email@example.com. Please include, as an attachment, a full resume as well as a cover letter addressed to publishers Dennis Johnson and Valerie Merians. In your cover letter, please discuss not only your experience, but also how your skills match up in particular to our list. Please also include your salary requirements. MINORITY CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.