The Literary Events Internship will focus on marketing, program development, and research centered around our public literary events and projects. These include our “Literary Conversations” series, the annual PEN/Faulkner Award Ceremony, the annual PEN/Faulkner Gala, and many more exciting events featuring today’s most popular and talented authors!
- Researching contemporary authors for upcoming literary events, as well as potential local and national event partners.
- Assisting with the logistics of upcoming author visits, such as scheduling, travel bookings, and accommodations.
- Crafting book synopses and author bios for upcoming programs.
- Generating content for multiple social media platforms.
- Tracking event ticket sales and donor contributions.
- Attending our literary events and assisting with audience management, set up/take down, and book sales.
- Organization and categorization of PEN/Faulkner archival materials.
- General copywriting and administrative tasks.
The ideal candidate has:
- Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Some experience with social media and graphic design preferred, but not required.
- An interest in research and marketing.
- The ability and drive to work independently and as part of a team.
- A passion for literature and learning.
- A good sense of humor.
*Mandatory Orientation Date: Saturday, September 7*
Required Hours: 15–20 hours/week. Candidates must be able to work shifts of at least 4 hours. Some evening availability required for literary events (approx. once a month).
Send an email (noting the position you are applying for in the subject line) with a current resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please explain what you will bring to the position, as well as what you hope to gain from the experience.
Our office is located in the WeWork Wonder Bread building, 1 block from the Shaw-Howard University Metro station.