PEN/Faulkner is seeking candidates to join our Education Programs team for a hands-on paid internship beginning in September 2021 for a 10-month term ending in June 2022. Spanish-speaking candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
The Literary Education Programs Assistant is an important part of PEN/Faulkner’s K-12 education outreach team. Our interns work in close collaboration with PEN/Faulkner’s Education Programs team and will receive direct professional experience in arts administration, arts education, and literary outreach.
PEN/Faulkner is a nonprofit literary organization based in Washington, DC. We give out the annual PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction and the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in the Short Story. Our Literary Conversations series brings together highly-acclaimed writers from all over the country to engage in thrilling, thought-provoking conversations. Our Education Programs empower the next generation of readers and writers through donations of culturally relevant books, conversations with diverse authors, and writing instruction led by published writers.
- Assist with author visit event coordination and attend author visits; where needed, support writing workshops.
- Research contemporary authors and books.
- Write and edit book synopses and author bios for outreach purposes.
- Write compelling narratives for PEN/Faulkner’s blog about author visits, writing workshops, and the importance of culturally responsive literacy and books.
- Assist with data entry of programming surveys.
- Assist with management of book lists, author and book database, educator/community outreach, and book ordering.
- Support general administrative tasks and additional responsibilities as required.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Superb attention to detail.
- Ability and drive to work independently and as part of a team, as well as comfort with remote work.
- Experience working with youth and/or other community work, preferably with Black, Latinx, and/or low-income populations; fluency in Spanish is a HUGE plus.
- Excitement to pitch in on all assignments.
- Demonstrated flexibility to accommodate changing educator/school needs.
- Willingness to task risks, accept feedback, and grow.
- Able to travel to schools in neighborhoods throughout Washington, DC for school-based, in-person programming.
- Able to navigate online virtual learning platforms (Microsoft Teams, Zoom) for virtual programming.
- Reliable wifi and technology access with audio and video capabilities. High level of proficiency with the GSuite Platform (Gmail, GDocs, etc.).
- Can commit to a ten-month contract of approx. 28-32 hours weekly from September 2021 through June 2022. Work schedule is Tuesday-Friday during school hours.
Candidates must be able to pass a state-mandated background check and a drug/alcohol test, as required by our partner schools, and must be able to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
During the ten months, the intern receives:
- An opportunity to help young people across multiple grade levels develop writing skills and a love for literature.
- Direct experience with the ins-and-outs of program administration at a renowned literary nonprofit.
- A supportive environment in which to learn and grow.
- Free tickets to PEN/Faulkner’s Literary Conversations.
- An hourly rate of $15.20 paid weekly.
How to apply:
Submit a written statement, resume (demonstrating your experience with young people/community populations), and contact information for three references to applications [at] penfaulkner [dot] org with “Literary Education Programs Assistant” in the subject line.
Your written statement should connect your experiences and passions directly to this opportunity. We receive many applications that describe a passion for reading since childhood or a personal love of writing. Tell us how you see your interests and passions specifically contribute to our education work, and how your experience can help PEN/Faulkner’s Education Programs achieve our goals.
Applications will be accepted from June 7 – July 5, 2021 with interviews beginning in mid-July.