People and Stories/Gente y Cuentos is a small non-profit dedicated to opening doors to literature for new audiences. Through oral readings and rigorous discussions of enduring short stories, we invite underserved participants to find fresh undrestandings of themselves, of others, and of the world. Our programs reach youth, adults and seniors in diverse settings—including halfway houses, prisons, homeless shelters, adult education programs, libraries, and senior centers, among others. For the history of our organization and vignettes from our programs, go to our website: www.peopleandstories.org.
People & Stories / Gente y Cuentos (P&S/GyC) has an immediate opening for a full-time Grants Writer and Development Assistant. Reporting to the Executive Director, he/she will undertake all institutional writing, including but letters of intent, proposals, reports and collateral materials; track funding, report and appeal deadlines; process income and manage donor database; assist ED and staff with development-related events; and work closely with highly collaborative Board-level Grants and Development Committees.
Detailed responsibilities include:
- Write 30+ grant proposals, letters of intent, and reports annually for foundation, corporate and government funders;
- Ensure the timely submission of new and renewed proposals, reports and supplemental materials;
- Identify new institutional funding prospects with the support of the Board-level Grants and Development Committees;
- Participate in team meetings to review progress towards meeting the organization’s annual development plan;
- Support ED, Board and staff at annual Gala and periodic cultivation events;
- Attend and observe some P&S/GyC programs at various sites, including some weekends.
- Superb writing skills and ability to write nuanced, compelling cases for support;
- Ability to sustain focus on detailed and lengthy grant projects;
- Highly organized and able to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects at once;
- Demonstrate a pro-active approach, flexibility and a positive attitude.
Previous grant-writing experience and nonprofit work experience preferred but not mandatory.
People & Stories/ Gente y Cuentos is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, familial status, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, age, or veteran status.
P&S/GyC offers a competitive salary, and the opportunity to work remotely for part of each week.
How to Apply:
Please send your cover letter, two (2) writing samples and resume to: P&S/GyC Hiring Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org.