Since 2012, Page Street Publishing has published a growing number of high-quality books with top-end content, specializing in a number of nonfiction subjects—including cookbooks, lifestyle, and crafting—in addition to publishing a selection of young adult fiction and children’s titles.
Page Street is currently looking to hire freelance editors for their copyediting, proofreading, and indexing teams. All work will be completed remotely through email and mail. Our current rates for freelance editors are $40/hour for copyeditors, $1.50/page for proofreaders, and $2.00/page for indexers.
Copyeditors will be expected to:
- Correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, and usage
- Edit text to ensure readability while maintaining author voice
- Make spelling, capitalization, hyphenation, abbreviations, and formatting consistent
- Identify and tag levels of heads and other style elements using the Microsoft Word Styles feature
- Comply with the publisher’s style guide, the Chicago Manual of Style, and Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary
- Create a comprehensive project style sheet
- Consult with editors and authors directly to resolve any queries in the manuscript
Proofreaders will be expected to:
- Correct spelling and punctuation
- Ensure consistency across the manuscript by checking the table of contents and cross-checking chapter heads, subheads, footers, and folios
- Check that all ingredients/materials reflect the order of use
- Suggest wording changes to improve clarity
- Mark any layout problems, including font issues, bad breaks, word stacks, and misalignments
- Add in page numbers where page references are used
- Comply with the publisher’s style guide, project style sheet, the Chicago Manual of Style, and Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary and use standard proofreading marks in colored pen or pencil
Indexers will be expected to:
- Utilize a PDF to generate an index containing various levels of entries and sub-entries to assist readers in locating specific elements of a given book
- Comply with indexing guidelines laid out in the Chicago Manual of Style
To apply, please email us at email@example.com with your resume. Please include which area of work you are interested in as well as which subjects you would like to work with (nonfiction, cookbooks only, YA, etc.). Experience in editing cookbooks and/or craft books is a plus. All applicants that pass the resume review will be sent editing tests to complete.