About 826 National
826 National amplifies the impact of our national network of youth writing and publishing centers, and the words of young authors. We serve as an international proof point for writing as a tool for young people to ignite and channel their creativity, explore identity, advocate for themselves and their community, and achieve academic and professional success.
Our National team is comprised of a group of highly collaborative, passionate professionals dedicated to supporting our growing network of chapters, championing our new online lesson resource (826 Digital), and bringing the words of our students and the importance of writing to a national stage.
826 has been voted one of the top 30 companies to work for by GOOD Magazine and our chapters are frequently recognized as the best places to volunteer by local media. There are approximately 140+ employees working across the 826 Network.
The Finance and Operations Manager oversees the day-to-day financial and administrative operations of 826 National. This position is responsible for managing all accounting and banking functions for the organization and works closely with the Chief Executive Officer to generate and track budgets both for internal and external purposes. In addition, the Finance and Operations Manager is responsible for general operations including insurance management, Board of Directors support, IT systems oversight, as well as office management.
This is a full-time position out of the National office in San Francisco. The Finance and Operations Manager reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer. At times, this position requires travel and out-of-hours work.
- Act as liaison to 826 National’s accounting firm to provide monthly financial reporting and analysis of financial statements
- Provide documentation to the CEO and, as requested, to the Board of Directors
- Manage the overall accounting and bookkeeping for the organization including accounts payable and receivable, inventory and capital assets, and banking
- Work closely with the Director of Development to:
- Support and monitor all grant budgets and grant-related financial information
- Track use of restricted funds; produce revenue reports
- Facilitate the annual budget process
- Work with accounting firm to provide timely and accurate monthly budget to actual statements to departmental budget managers
- Lead successful audit process annually, oversee all 990 reports, and act as liaison to CPA
- Track and process invoices and reimbursements for staff and vendors
- Administer payroll and benefits
- Continually review and assess operations and procedures and implement improvements as needed in order to increase efficiency and productivity and ensure highly effective organizational systems
- Contribute to the development and achievement of measurable, and strategic operational and performance goals
- Manage office operations and procedures including reception, telephone and internet services, mail distribution and management, building management interface, postage and UPS services, and all office equipment, property management and related vendor relationships
- Ensure that technology is meeting needs of staff to ensure smooth and efficient operations
- Manage general office supply purchasing, inventory, and disposal
- Manage contract negotiations, including lease and office equipment and services.
- Assist with preparation for site visits, external and internal meetings, events including coordination of space and room reservations, catering/meals, and providing attendees with details.
- Coordinate quarterly National board meetings including communications, material development and logistics.
- Align and manage various compliance initiatives by updating policies and procedures, including the Employee Handbook, in collaboration with the CEO
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local employment and benefits laws and regulations including the maintenance of employee personnel files
- Support strategic plan and diversity, equity, and inclusion goals
- Manage logistics of staff offsites and retreats and the administration of staff development and team building schedule.
- Lead efforts to maintain positive office culture through leading and planning staff recognition and celebrations, off-site activities, and by leading the staff “culture committee”
- Provide administrative support to CEO including working on special projects, as needed
- Support the hiring process from recruitment to onboarding, as well as the off-boarding process to ensure accurate execution and documentation
- Manage and steward the 826 National intern program including hiring, training, and supervising interns
- Collaborate with Leadership Team and staff to assess and strengthen diverse talent pipelines
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A demonstrated passion for the mission, vision, and values of 826 National
- Minimum of three years of experience with bookkeeping, financial reporting, and payroll
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse constituents, teams, and colleagues
- Ability to maintain high degree of confidentiality, professionalism, poise, tact, and diplomacy to accomplish work objectives
- Knowledge of applicable personnel laws and regulations and benefits administration
- A strong team player with a positive attitude and ability to absorb and learn quickly; willing to go the extra mile
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrates passion, commitment, and integrity, taking responsibility, and building trust
- Strong organizational skills, project management skills, and attention to detail
- Comfortable adapting to change in a fast-paced environment; ability to undertake several tasks simultaneously and manage them effectively
- Proficiency in MS Office and GSuite
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred
Position is open until filled. Final compensation is commensurate with experience.
Comprehensive benefits, including: medical, dental, vision care, and retirement, paid holidays, 15 days of annual vacation for the first two years of employment, with increases thereafter.
How to Apply:
Please visit https://826national.typeform.com/to/EjVikp to complete an online application and submit a resume and detailed cover letter highlighting your interest and relevant experience.
826 National is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to hire those representative of the diverse communities we serve. 826 National hires without regard to race, color, religion,sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.