AJB seeks an hourly Events & Engagement Specialist for approximately 15-18 hours per week. The Events & Engagement Specialist works closely with authors and the AJB team to coordinate and amplify author activity. The Specialist is dedicated to engaging authors and the press with audiences in relation to events, thereby aiding and enhancing the visibility of books, authors, and AJB. The Specialist arranges readings for frontlist authors in addition to overseeing 2-3 press events per year.
- Acquiring deep knowledge and appreciation for the values and mission of Alice James Books
- Sharing, accurately, event news and information over social media and other channels, monitors related social media activity, and connects with followers as needed
- Planning, publicizes, follow-ups on, and MC’ing or securing an MC for 2-3 AJB-led virtual/hybrid/in-person reading events per year
- Coordinates, negotiates, and plans 2-3 individual author events for frontlist books/year (up to 24 events)
- Coordinate and oversee planning for press events at the annual AWP conference (literary partnership, book signings, offsite readings, other events and proposals)
- Conceptualizes and runs social media posts on AJB events. Makes calls for and curates content.
- Collaborates comfortably with external & internal stakeholders (ex: acquiring content from authors to promote events, collecting event photos from authors, etc.)
- Stay current, nimble, and communicative on emerging digital strategies in relation to virtual events and individual author activity/presence, revising/implementing as needed
- Support team members with logistics associated with special events (i.e., curating lists, general logistics, engaging community members)
- Performing groundwork of scouting and securing event venues
- Overseeing pre- and post- event work, leveraging community and relationship building opportunities (snapping photos and sharing them, disseminating participant surveys, following up with thank you’s, etc.)
- Promptly updating team members on event developments: author, programmatic, organizational, or other
- Creating/updating documentation for procedures and processes as they arise
- Creating and maintaining author event calendar (on the website, internally, or both)
- Creating and disseminating event participant and author surveys, collecting responses, reporting out data to team
Ideal candidates are:
- A bit extroverted, imaginative, proactive, flexible, and knowledgeable/supportive of AJB’s mission
- Organized, detail-oriented, brand-aware, community-conscientious
- Skilled at several styles of communication from professional to informal
- Very computer/social media comfortable with an interest in learning new systems (databases and social media platforms)
- 15-18 hours a week
- 2-3 evenings per year
- There is flexibility with regards to location. In-person, hybrid, or remote work is possible. For remote work, candidate must be available during select core business hours EST.
- This is an hourly position with a range of $20-24/hr, commensurate with experience.
To apply, please fill out our application form on Submittable. No phone calls, please. Email Emily Marquis at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.