Kevin Anderson & Associates is an industry-leading ghostwriting, editing, and publishing consultation firm located in Manhattan with offices in Nashville and LA. Our dynamic staff of New York Times bestselling authors, ghostwriters, publishing insiders, and editors has been developing manuscripts for more than 15 years. Our services are customized to the needs of each client and have produced numerous bestselling books. Our clients include literary agents, traditional and hybrid publishing houses, celebrities, notable figures in politics and business, and a wide variety of first-time authors. We work particularly closely with publishers and agents, providing reliable and well managed ghostwriting and book-doctoring services. We occupy a unique role within the publishing industry as we bring together authors, publishers, agents, marketers, publicists, designers, and other industry professionals in the unified goal to produce a successful and powerful book.
Learn more about our firm at www.ka-writing.com.
Enjoy similar benefits with greater compensation than equivalent positions at a Big-5 publisher, but in a position that offers you unlimited professional growth potential, generous bonuses, and the ability to help lead a rapidly growing and dynamic company. Flexible hours, the ability to work primarily from home, generous sales incentives, working with leading authors, agents, and publishers are just a few of the many perks of this position.
We are looking for a talented and highly motivated candidate who thrives in a fast-paced, exciting, and dynamic position that is incentivized by revenue goals. An ideal candidate will possess a wide range of knowledge and expertise across multiple genres, with the most relevant categories being prescriptive nonfiction, narrative nonfiction, celebrity bio, business, health, memoir, and personal development.
This senior management position involves nurturing potential and existing client relationships with agents, publishers, and authors. You will also contribute to internal development discussions that improve both internal and client-facing efficiency and efficacy.
We work often with authors who are high-profile, high net worth, or innovators in their industry/profession. It is very important that the candidate feels comfortable working with such clients and is able to understand their needs and guide them effectively through the publishing process.
The ideal candidate is disciplined enough to work offsite, but able to meet with authors, literary agents, and editors at our office or theirs. Travel within the US may be required infrequently—approximately 2–4 times per year—for conferences or meetings with potential clients outside of the NY area.
Compensation includes a generous base salary supplemented by sales incentives and bonuses.
- Work directly with authors, agents, and publishers to obtain, nurture, and grow client relationships.
- Identify and acquire potential authors.
- Contribute to innovation efforts to continue to expand revenue opportunities.
- Provide leadership in planning, forecasting, and due diligence to support the company’s growth and expansion objectives.
- Map out the industry landscape, work with the CEO to develop a plan for growth, and execute accordingly.
- Negotiate contracts with agents, publishers, and authors.
- Understand clients’ needs and deliver customized, targeted solutions.
- Maintain a detailed client database.
- Communicate effectively, efficiently, and in a timely manner with clients and coworkers.
- Objection prevention and handling.
- Contribute to senior management initiatives that help the company to grow and improve its service offerings, growth strategy, and internal and external health.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s level preferred
- Must have 5+ years experience as an editorial director, literary agent, senior acquisitions editor, publisher, or other closely related position at a major publisher, and 10+ years professional experience in the book publishing industry
- Established relationships with relevant agents, publishers, and industry colleagues
- Strong understanding and awareness of the general marketplace and relevant market segments within industry
- Extensive industry knowledge of both publishing process and market trends
- Located within the Greater NYC Area (no more than a 2-hour commute to the city and the ability to report to our office on-demand)
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent conversation and presentation skills, with an ability to quickly establish rapport and react effectively in dynamic, customer-facing situations.
- Self-motivated, hands-on, and creative, with exceptional oral, written, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to understand and quickly acquire in-depth knowledge of services offered, carefully analyze customer needs, and present solutions
- Persuasive and goal-oriented
- Highly creative and resourceful in recognizing and developing client opportunities
- Self-motivated and committed team player who enjoys a fast-paced and results-oriented work environment.
- Ability to work both independently and with a team.
- Ability to exhibit patience and enthusiasm in all client situations.
- Proven ability to identify and cultivate new authors and identify bestseller potential.
- Attention to details in a deadline-driven environment with the ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Strong initiative and judgment.
- Strong computer and research skills with proficiency in MS Word.
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: SVP EDITORIAL DIRECTOR APPLICANT
1. Cover letter
3. List of notable titles that you’ve edited, acquired, or sold
4. Salary requirements
Please do not call our office about this position. We thank all applicants for their interest, but we will only respond to those candidates we wish to pursue. Please do not apply if you do not meet the minimum requirements outlined above.
KAA offers compensation and benefits that are competitive, equitable, and meet the needs of a diverse workforce, making our firm a rewarding and inspiring place to work.
KAA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered regardless of gender, sex, race, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, military service, or any other non-merit factor
Become an integral part of an established, growing, and professional writing and editing firm. Apply today.
Please visit www.ka-writing.com to learn more about us and what we do.