We are looking for a motivated, collaborative, and flexible Editorial Assistant to join our Humanities and Social Science editorial team in the New York office. You’ll have the challenge of juggling multiple tasks for a Senior Editor in political science and sociology, as well as supporting other Editorial Assistants during absences, peak workloads, etc. We are a friendly and active team negotiating significant change in academic publishing.
This is a one-year fixed-term contract position—with a possibility of contract extension if/when additional opportunities arise.
- Working with authors to ensure timely delivery of manuscripts suitable for production
- Preparing contracts for authors and volume editors
- Briefing authors on manuscript preparation
- Tracking progress of projects to ensure on-time delivery
- Drafting flap copy for new publications
- Assisting in peer review of new book projects and maintaining review records
- Assisting with basic clerical work: payments to authors and reviewers; record keeping and data entry; setting up appointments for editor’s travel, etc.
- Preparing manuscripts and files for production
- Distributing paperwork for editorial meetings
- Preparing series reports for editorial boards
- Promptly responding to general email and phone queries
You will embody and reflect through your work ethos six values; collaborative, decisive, empowering, innovative, responsible, and responsive.
You should know something about what it means to publish books. You won’t be editing books or engaging with significant content in the relevant disciplines.
Some office experience is desired.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize, sensitivity to prompt e-mail responses to author queries, etc
- Strong MS Office, Internet and research skills
- Good oral and written skills; candidates should have the ability to liaise with many different people, including professors, colleagues in the books groups, marketers, production editors, and sales; learn quickly and work both independently and as part of a team.
- Understanding of digital content development
- Strong writing and proofreading skills a plus.
This position will provide a strong grounding in the principles and practice of book publishing and digital publishing; it is a terrific opportunity in terms of getting your foot in the door of international publishing.
Why Cambridge University Press?
At Cambridge University Press, we celebrate diversity of thought and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We believe that a culture of empowerment and diversity is vital to our continued innovation and success. We are a proud equal opportunity employer that prohibits discrimination and harassment against any employees, interns, or applicants for employment.
We have over 2,500 talented employees across 50 international offices uniting all our publishing groups. We’re one of the world’s most respected publishers, driven by the purpose of unlocking people’s potential with the best learning and research solutions.
We need determined individuals to help make this happen. We work in global teams, tackle the big issues, raise education standards, and deliver innovative solutions to learners and researchers.
Here at Cambridge University Press, we are committed to creating a dynamic work environment that empowers you to succeed in your personal and professional goals. As such, we offer a robust employee benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, company paid life insurance, paid Maternity and Paternity leave, disability insurance, commuter benefits, and much more!
Your health and wellbeing is paramount to us here at the Press, and we place our best effort towards promoting an effective work-life balance for our staff. This is why we are proud to offer a generous Paid Time Off policy starting at 25 days per year, an employee assistance program to help see you through difficult life events, along with other health and wellness incentives, including gym membership reimbursements.
You’ll also be able to take advantage of our industry leading 403(b) Retirement Plan options, offering up to a 10% employer contribution on your behalf.
In an effort to develop our talent, and ensure you are meeting your personal career goals, we here at the Press are avid supporters of continued education, as well as offering several training opportunities throughout the year and online resources for our staff.
Complimentary to these programs, our work environment is equally enticing, as we are housed in a beautiful newly renovated open office setting, centrally located near several transit hubs in the Wall Street section of Manhattan.
To apply, visit: https://cup.current-vacancies.com/Jobs/Advert/1595068?cid=824.