Tin House Books seeks an Editorial Assistant to provide editorial and administrative support from our headquarters in beautiful Portland, Oregon. The ideal candidate is passionate about literature, highly organized and detail-oriented, self-motivated, and eager to take initiative. The Editorial Assistant supports the editorial team at every stage of the book production process, from managing potential manuscripts for acquisition to final proofreading before print. The Editorial Assistant is also responsible for various bookkeeping and administrative tasks.
- Prepare manuscripts for layout using Microsoft Word
- Proofread multiple passes of manuscripts throughout the production process
- Update book production process documents regularly
- Apply for and organize ISBN, CIP, and copyright data
- Upload podcast episodes and products to the Tin House website using WordPress
- Monitor and update key book information and metadata
- Collaborate with in-house editorial, marketing, and art departments on sales presentations, catalogs, metadata, and jacket copy
- Train and manage the responsibilities of Tin House Books editorial interns
- Send and follow up on invoices for Tin House Books expenses
- Perform administrative tasks, including but not limited to: coordinating mailings, creating/submitting sales reports, and distributing received mail
- Alongside editors, read and evaluate manuscripts for commercial viability and literary merit, with an eye toward communities underserved by the publishing industry
- Review projects under contract and provide feedback upon request
- Attend and participate in Tin House events: readings, workshops, trade shows, etc.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience copyediting/proofreading
- Prior office experience or related internship preferred
- Fluency with Mac OS and software (Microsoft Word and Excel in particular), Google Drive, and WordPress—experience with QuickBooks a plus
- Candidates should be exceptionally well organized, detail-oriented, able to juggle multiple projects and priorities, have initiative, be collegiate and collaborative, and respond well to working under the pressure of deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding references
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the title, Editorial Assistant, in the subject line. A writing sample and proofreading test will be required for candidates invited to interview. Deadline for applications is November 12, 2019.
Tin House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, or economic background/status. We welcome applicants from diverse and underrepresented communities and value a wide array of talents and perspectives.
Salary for this position is $32,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
About Tin House Books:
Since 2002, Tin House Books has been a leading independent publisher that champions novels, nonfiction, poetry, and story collections by debut and established authors alike. Tin House authors have garnered acclaim everywhere from the New York Times and NPR to the Wall Street Journal and People Magazine.