The White House Historical Association is a non-profit, non-partisan educational organization founded in 1961 by First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy to enhance the understanding, appreciation, and enjoyment of the Executive Mansion. For more than sixty years, the Association has produced award-winning books on a wide range of subjects related to the history of the President’s House and has actively fulfilled its educational mission with robust educational programming and retail offerings.
This is NOT a political position or a position with the United States Government. All proceeds from the sale of the Association’s books and products are used to fund the acquisition of historic furnishings and artwork for the permanent White House Collection, assist in the preservation of public rooms, and further its educational mission.
The Association is seeking an Editorial and Production Manager to join the award-winning publishing department.
• Reports to the Chief Publishing Officer.
• Actively participates in the planning, editing, design, and production process for forthcoming titles. Maintains liaison with vendors, authors, and contributors.
• Maintains and updates technical computer skills, including but not limited to desktop publishing and graphic design software.
• Executes templated layouts for books and other printed materials in progress.
• Maintains an up to date knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style and the White House Historical Association Style Guide as well as standard proofreader's marks. Makes multiple editorial passes on works in progress.
• Maintains an updated knowledge of the printing process. Assists in preparing printing specifications and soliciting estimates.
• Prepares images for scanning, assists with color correction process. Assists with review of printer's digital and color proofs.
• Coordinates the pre-production process of compiling incoming drafts and researching, collecting, and preparing images for press.
• Ensures that forthcoming books are assigned ISBN numbers, LOC cataloging numbers, and registered in Books in Print. Ensures details of forthcoming books are given to distributors.
• Assists with inter-office liaison, post-production archiving of files, distribution of complimentary copies, and delivery of files to the digital library. Ensures distribution checklists are completed upon release of new titles. Provides support upon request at book launches and special events.
• Degree in English, History, Decorative Arts, Art History, Museum Studies, or related field
• Minimum of three years of professional experience
• Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat)
• Ability to manage multiple priorities in a deadline driven environment
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to work creatively and collegially
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Genuine interest in history and the arts
Send cover letter describing your relevant experiences, and your resume in a single Word document or PDF to email@example.com The White House Historical Association is an equal opportunity employer.
WHHA offers a comprehensive benefits package:
• Life insurance
• Long/Short term Disability
• Long term Healthcare Plan
• Health Insurance
• Dental Insurance
• 403B Matching
• Paid Holiday
• Paid Sick Leave
• Paid Vacation
• Paid Personal Day
• Paid Meal Breaks
• Metro Smart Benefits
• Employee Discount Program
Candidate selected for this position must pass a full background and reference check.