Graywolf Press seeks an organized, detail-oriented person with publishing experience for the position of Editorial and Production Associate.
Graywolf Press is a nonprofit publisher of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and work in translation whose aim is to foster new thinking about what it means to live in the world today. We publish thirty to thirty-five books each year.
The Editorial and Production Associate supports Associate Publisher Katie Dublinski and Executive Editor Jeff Shotts. This position plays a vital role in shepherding ten to fifteen poetry, essay, criticism, and translation titles through publication each year, and supports the entire Graywolf list through the production process. The Editorial and Production Associate has key responsibilities at the heart of Graywolf’s work, including managing submissions, copyediting, proofreading, and assisting in the management of book production. The ideal candidate for this job is motivated, well read, dependable, and highly attentive to detail, and has some prior experience in book publishing or a related literary field.
Compensation includes paid time off; health, dental, and life insurance, as well as short-term and long-term disability insurance; and a transit pass. Graywolf employees are eligible for retirement benefits after one year of service. This is a full-time, exempt position based in Minneapolis with a start date in March 2019.
Key Job Responsibilities
Editorial – Editor specific
- Serve as assistant to associate publisher and executive editor: assist with filing, correspondence, manuscript log, contact management, permission requests, manuscript transmittals, acquisitions forms, audio presentations, blurb requests, copywriting (catalog, cover, and reprints), and other tasks as needed.
- Enthusiastically support all aspects of the poetry list.
- Manage all unsolicited poetry submissions.
- Serve as first or second reader on poetry submissions and other manuscripts under consideration by executive editor and write reports as needed (requires some work after hours and outside the office). Read and report on prose manuscripts as assigned by associate publisher (requires some work after hours and outside the office).
- Generate publishing contracts and track advance payments.
- Enter and maintain title metadata and other key publishing data in FSG’s Biblio data management system and Graywolf’s Title Management system.
- Proofread poetry books.
- Check galley cover proofs and final cover proofs.
- Check printer proofs and components alongside associate publisher.
- Assist with production traffic: scan and send manuscripts, proofs, and other production materials to authors, freelancers, and Bookmobile.
- Register books with the Library of Congress CIP program.
- Assist with production archives.
- Check e-book files.
- Manage e-book distribution; liaise with Macmillan e-book team.
- Copyedit in-house and other documents including Graywolf catalog, grant requests and reports, and other marketing and development materials as needed.
- Hire and supervise editorial interns, with assistant editor.
Required Education, Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
- Interest in book publishing and knowledge of contemporary literature, particularly contemporary poetry.
- A commitment to increasing diversity in and access to literature.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience proofreading documents and a working familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to work cooperatively and flexibly with our staff of sixteen and as part of a team.
- High level of comfort with Mac OS and Microsoft Office suite and other basic office technology.
- A professional and friendly attitude.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Previous publishing experience, or experience in a related literary field.
- Previous project management experience, or experience working with outside vendors to accomplish complex tasks.
- Previous experience with data entry and databases.
- Ability to read in a foreign language.
Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes.
- Must be able to carry and lift boxes of books and other materials.
Please send the following as email attachments to email@example.com with the subject line “Editorial and Production Associate 2019.”
- Cover letter addressed to Leslie Johnson, Managing Director
- One-page (single-spaced) review of a contemporary poetry book
- List of your ten favorite books
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Graywolf Press is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.