Catapult is looking for a forward-thinking, self-motivated editor to join a dynamic and hardworking editorial team and help lead the digital magazine (catapult.co) as it evolves.
Catapult is proud to be a platform where writers are given the opportunity, support, and guidance to develop their skills and tell the stories that matter most to them. Our new editor will work with the magazine's editor in chief and managing editor to shape the publication's goals, steer its growth, and identify their own path for continued development and leadership in digital media/publishing. They should have experience in assigning and editing multiple freelance pieces concurrently, and be able to confidently manage their workload and deadlines. As Catapult also publishes books and runs writing programs, curiosity about the wider publishing industry is a plus, as is an interest in collaborating with colleagues across departments and at all levels of the company.
- Editing and publishing essays, short fiction, cultural criticism, and craft/writing resources at least three times per week
- Top-editing, advising, and mentoring junior and contributing editors
- Working with the editor in chief and managing editor to steer the magazine’s direction
- Communicating and collaborating both externally and internally with proofreaders, artists, publicists, agents, and various contributors to put together the magazine daily
- Reading and accepting/rejecting pitches and submissions that come through the magazine’s Submittable and their personal inbox
- Attending and contributing to editorial meetings, strategy/planning meetings, wider staff meetings, and check-ins with some individual editors
- Collaborating with the full editorial team on headlines, social media language, and selection of art assets
- Brainstorming and leading independent special projects, as time permits
4+ years experience editing nonfiction in digital media and/or publishing
Strong written and oral communication skills
The capacity to work independently (and, for now, in an all-virtual workplace)
The ability to respond, adapt, and contribute in cooperation with all current and future team members as needs shift and new projects develop
An eagerness to grow and develop as an editor
Salary commensurate with experience.
This is a full-time staff position that includes health, vision, dental, and 401(k) benefits. Black, Indigenous, and other people of color are especially encouraged to apply. Open to remote applicants in 2021; would ideally want this position to be based in NYC in 2022.